How is this for a $600-ish PC build

I'm looking to build a budget gaming PC and was wondering if this would be able to handle most of  games at high to ultra setting at around 30 fps. The price is rounded up. It's actually around $662 for it all. Thank in advance for you advice and criticism.

Thermaltake SMART Series SP-550PCBUS 550W - $50

ASRock FM2A78M-HD+ FM2+ / FM2 AMD A78 (Bolton D3) - $53

HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - $90

AMD Athlon X4 750K Trinity Quad-Core 3.4GHz Socket FM2 100W Desktop Processor - Black Edition - $80 

PowerColor AX7870 2GBD5-2DHV5E/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB - $180

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - $60

BitFenix Comrade BFC-COM-100-KKXS1-RP Black ATX Computer Case - $50 

Windows 7 - 100

Seems like a pretty solid build, might want to watch out if you want add a lot of stuff due to your power supply I do suggest a 750 for like 80-90$, but that's only if you look at adding parts later. I do suggest looking at pcpartpicker.com though honestly I live by it when it comes to choosing cheaper retailers for parts if you're ok with shipping.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yM27GX

something like this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Obstinated/saved/VHcMnQ

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xgn2WZ

reddit.com/r/softwareswap There's a dude selling Win7 ultimate for 14 bucks or something. That's common place there.

Two cores with better single core performance will do you better than 6 cores with better multi core performance gaming wise. I run with FX-6300. Wish the G3258 was out when I was building my rig.

Got the after market cooler just so you can OC at the start. It's super simple if all you want to do is raise the clock speed on the CPU. I've seen tom's hardware get it to 4.5Ghz and smile.

Also got that R9 280. Fuck yeah. Even I want this rig.

With your current list. I think 30fps at 1080p ultra would be incredibly realistic, you'd probably get more than that. With the 280 though you'll probably get 60fps.

What? Better go read some benchmarks. People who are telling you 30fps for gaming is good............. are lying to you. 6300 will kick the crap out of that.

DerKriegor's build is rock solid and reasonably priced. Might consider a 280 if you can find a sale.

Looks great.

So I've been playing around with the items I will be get and so I was wondering if this would be a little better. Also I'm not looking to overclock it right now and the rig will be running 3 monitors so that is why I ask I it could handle 30 fps.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/J2DjBm

I think the ICEq 280 is $220 right now with 3gb

Aerowin95 and OP: Get rid of the overly expensive windows copy, get it later on from cheaper sources (like resales or student discounts) or you know, activate it using ways that must-not-be-named.

You only need a 500W PSU for this build. FX 6300 is the king here, no doubt. It trumps both 760k and the pentium in the value segment. With the money saved you can get a r9 280. Why buy a hd 7800 series when the r9 are a rebadge but are newer.

An fx 6300 and a gigabyte ga-970A-DS3P is a good combo.

At what resolution are you playing? If it's below HD an r9 270 will be just fine.

I have a 6300. While with OC it might be stronger, it's not by much by any of benchmarks I've seen, and the pentium is cheaper. The only instance where having more cores has helped is in crysis 3. So if that's what he really wanted then get an Fx 6300.

For triple monitor gaming you're going to need a lot more horse power. Like dual 270s or 280s.

You also don't want to spend the extra money on the 4GB model. It might help if you were going to game in 4k, but that card is never going there. So you might as well grab a 3GB 280 instead.

Even if you don't feel comfortable with the pentium (even if it is allowing for an upgrade to an i5 at later date) don't go with the FM2 slot. It's becoming more out dated every week with less upgrade options. With the AM3+ boards you could go to an 8xxx series FX chip.

Again reddit.com/r/softwareswap for windows. Super cheap, legit codes.

Even at 1080 he'll be doing great. He wants triple monitors though, he'll need a lot more power.

Your i5 is good enough, just get a 780Ti or a r9 290 and you can have decent fps on triple monitors (depending on settings though). No sanely priced rig today can run 3 monitors at max settings at over 40 fps solid. You'd need a multi GPU setup for that, and you're breaking the 1000$ barrier there.

As much as I think the pentium will give him more bang for the buck and has a better upgrade path, getting a AM3+ board would be way better than his current FM2+

Two of the monitors are 24 inch displays and the other one is 19 inch (all three are led back lit displays) As I've said I'm new to PC gaming so i don't know what resolution best from them. The two are 1080p displays while the 19 inch is a 720p display.

Okay, I gonna do that.