How hot is too hot for a Ryzen 2600x?[Solved]

So that is a different can of worms, because the best performance you get from plex is direct play since you’re only bound by file I/O throughput and network latency. Ideally, you don’t want to do any transcoding.

Well calling up all the TV stations and telling them MPEG2 doesnt work for me is not a real solution. We mostly use Plex for Live TV and DVR, the 4K Roku sticks my parents have don’t do MPEG2. My i5 3570K currently does the software transcoding fine. Which is what I was going to be using on the APU. Because I don’t plan on running my Plex server on Windows, mad that mistake before and never again. And AMD GPU’s can’t do the transcoding in Linux from what I have read.

I figure if the i5 3570K can handle it at stock clock no issues and APU that’s much much newer should be able to.

Fractal Design Define Mini C TG

Is that a good case with good airflow? I have a Define R4, which is what my Plex server currently uses, I was pretty impressed with it. Its also smaller than the R4 which is nice, because I was looking to down size with this build.

Might have just followed Alice down the rabbit hole. The issue I have is I have 2 systems. 1 for gaming and 1 for Plex. Thats why Im looking at small builds for my gaming rig, because I have a full ATX case for Plex (was my old gaming computer). So I thought Id look at cases that support dual systems. Holy crap they are expensive. Second I thought about Linus’s 7 gamers 1 CPU, where I just build a more powerful system to do both. Not sure how feasible that would be. I just don’t know what Im going to do. At this point Im almost ready to throw in the towel, and just use my MacBook Pro.

aside from your cooler being too close to the side panel, you can do a negative voltage offset on your CPU which should lower temps a little, not enough to offset being too close to the side

Im currently using my MacBook Pro. So Im not worried about a bandaid Im more worried about a permanent solution. Im even wondering if PC gaming is even worth all this hassle, or if I should just turn this machine in to my new Plex server and buy a console at this point.

With an air cooler a positive airflow inside a case is pretty important.
Make sure you have a proper airflow inside the case.

1 Like

You need to look this case up. When you do, you will see there are not any options. You have 3 case fans. 2 in the basement and 1 near the CPU cooler. I have the 2 in the basement as intakes, the other as an exhaust. I actually bought the extra fans when I first did this build last year because I was worried about thermals. Also the fans are configured according to Phanteks instructions, the fans are the ones that Phanteks recommended for this case.

Yes i see it’s a pain.

But out of curiosity, how high does you cpu voltage spikes,
during stress tests?
105C is really rare, unless it over volts like crazy.

Also update the bios of the board,
if you didn’t do that already.

Not sure, as I was looking at the temps more. I can tell you that I did turn off Boost, which brought the temps down a few degrees, but still pretty hot. I can check after work to see what the voltages are.

I updated the BIOS as far as Asrock recommended for my CPU.

1 Like

Cool let us know when running a stress test,
what the voltage spikes are.
Also i’m kinda curious if the system starts throttling after you reach like 90C?
Because this should be noticeable.
Normally the system should crash at a certain point.

It could also be a faulty temp sensor.

Of course the voltage read outs from software will be a bit off,
to what the actual core voltage of the chip is.
But it kinda gives an image of what is going on.

1 Like

Formally stated max temp by AMD is 85 degrees C for the 2700x. I suspect it’s the same for the 2600x.

Anything below ~75 is fine, but after that the processor might start underclocking to avoid limited temp. ceiling. A good cooler that is properly seated and has a fan curve that is well tuned for the processor should give you max. temp between 70 and 75 degrees when the processor is at max. load.

edit: Maybe there is a problem with how the temps are reported or maybe the app you’re using has other problems with temps? At 105 you should be experiencing weird problems/shutdowns terrible slowdowns with your computer.

edit2: if the airflow is the problem, stick something that blows a lot of air in the case or directly on the cooler. if the temps go down significantly, you have a case/fan problem.

1 Like

Ran the test for about 15 min. Didnt get up to 105, but did peak in the 90s.

Doing a bit of research. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-3570K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-3200G/828vs3497

According to this the 3200G is more powerful (should be able to handle the 2 transcodes I need) and uses less power than my i5 3570K that’s in use in my Plex box. Would a 3200G survive better in the Phanteks case? If so I think Ill just build out my 2600x in a new case.

Yea that is still a bit high.
Maybe you could try to undervolt the cpu.
That might help a bit in regards to lower the temps.
But, it´s kinda weird to me that the system,
does not noticeable throttle or even crash.

Just to run with the idea a sensor is bad, does the room its is get unbearably hot? If it is running up in the 90s you would definitely notice just based on how hot the air is getting.

Yes my room gets hot. Add in to the fact that Michigan is Michigan and we don’t have central air and my room is probably poorly insulated. BUT the issue is this is not the only system in my room, I also have my Plex box, so its hard to tell. My room stays at 80F + all year round. All I know is the air coming out of the case is hot, the glass gets very hot.

1 Like

Ive been OC’in a Ryzen 1700 nearly 24 /7 since launch on the stock cooler. Now its a desktop and most loads are games on whole. It hits high 70’s while gameing for hours .

I would not let it get to much hotter myself. I wouild put a long term PC CPU temp cap at 90 tops. Not in the 90’s. That just my 2 cents.

Sample size of 1 and high temps for years, Idle is high too in low 40’s because the overclock and ryzen 1700 doesnt not have all the latest power Kung Fu

very hot!
i have 2700x… and its very hot! i tried diferent coolers and heatsinks but during gameplay i did hit 75-80 degres so i purchased corsair h115i its the best for quiet and low temps. idle 30-40,high gaming 50-60(somethimes 62/63 but thats max).

Problem is the case is only rated for a 120mm AIO. Ive been told that those are meh in many cases. Which is why I was looking at replacing the case possibly. Just not sure. Don’t want to see this case go to waste.