Return to

How Hard is a CS degree?

not very good at math and reconsidering my ambitions. So many of the forum members here are knowledgeable, i take advice from you and apply to my real life. I would really appreciate what you have to say.

Depends, what specifically are you going for? CS is pretty general. IT? Game dev? Analyst? Database admin?

Im currently enrolled for InfoSec, and Calculus is involved.

i just want a good job. Im just being honest i don’t have dreams in this field even though i love technology and am infinitely curious. I’m probably gonna just get the degree for a high paying job. Is infosec like Data Information?

Information security, sometimes shortened to InfoSec, is the practice of preventing unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification, inspection, recording or destruction of information. It is a general term that can be used regardless of the form the data may take (e.g. electronic, physical).

We can’t really help you with this decision if you have no passion for any of it, or don’t know which career path you are taking. It’s like saying “I want a degree in science”. Its too broad to help you from there.

Bane what you need to do is look at maybe doing some pre-math and other subjects at a college and see what you are good at. Have you done this? Also I know from experience that if you are not working towards what you really want to do then you won’t be happy. Finally you say you are not very good at math and so I must ask what are you good at?

In the most simplest of words, it is as hard as you make it to be. Take it any way you want, but remember that ultimately if you don’t like something, you won’t have a fun time and will fight it every step of the way.

I would like to second the opinion that if you have no passion in something, don’t pursue it as a full time thing.

I work in IT, I hate it and would rather do research as my CS focus was on computation, natural language processing, and embedded design. Unfortunately, I got roped into IT and I have not been able to stay out of that field for too long.

Also, a CS degree is starting to become the new Psych, or Poly-Sci degree. Everyone is getting one and this has dropped the the pay down. Let alone people are asking for Comp Sci for basic network and server admin noe which I feel is a waste.

Is it really that bad? I remember hearing that out of the 1.5million+ that graduate per year, only 50,000 of those on average are getting a CS degree.

Are there more people getting CS degrees then 20 years ago? Of course, but I can’t imagine it’s anywhere near dangerous levels.

It’s not the fact that more people are getting the degrees, its that the people who have those jobs are not retiring and new jobs are not being created fast enough.

Getting a basic CS degree will get you almost nothing; as will other AS/AA degrees.

These were the kinds of articles I was seeing:

I get that the CS degree alone gets you little, though I imagine it gives you some powerful tools. I just figured CS students would have the foresight to work on their own projects to put on their resume, not just rely on the degree.

Yeah but those jobs that are open are not within the reach of a 2year degree. Going to need a BS at a minimum.

I see lots of jobs on glassdoor in tech for my area. The requirements? Masters degree, 10+ years experience, and or a half page of requirements.

Now it could just be in my area, South Carolina, as the tech industry here sucks. However, I cannot afford to move. And there are a lot of other people in my situation too.

I knew a guy who graduated with me in CS, it took him a year to get hired on as a cashier for Staples.

I mean, personally, I think you should be more concerned with how you’d enjoy the job that comes after a degree, as opposed to the “difficulty” of just getting that degree.

I was not really good at math but rather average when I started studying CS. (That being said though, I went to a school that had a stronger focus on math than the average school). After a while a became rather good at it, as with programming, you have to get the right mindset.

Also, I didn’t really learn programming through my university courses, I rather had to learn programming for them. Sure, there were programming 101 classes, but in my opinion the difficulty curve was steep in the beginning.

Finally, I enjoyed my master classes way more than the bachelor course, due to them being much more interesting.

In the end, only you can make this decision, but I strongly advice that you should be interested in the subject.

@Masterfulliam This ^

I only got started in the Industry due to a favor. I helped setup a data center in highschool and after trying to get a job, no one would higher me with a degree and F/OOS experience. I asked the company if they were hiring and one of the original guys I worked with on the project vouched for me.

I have been messing with computers since I was 4. Had extensive experience in the field but people are currently looking for a masters or higher with 5+ years experience. I am in the greater Seattle area right now and it is not uncommon for them to ask for PHd holders for senior tech support jobs only paying 40-60k a year. We are talking about computer janitors (that is kind of what I do now). All of the big talent Works for Fortune 500s. Even then, this industry is full of who you know and not what you know just to get an interview. Then you have to unanimously wow all interviewers.

Don’t let my griping discourage you. Just be honest with yourself though. If you are looking for high pay, it is better to get in on the medical industry.

We had to learn (or try) a bunch of physics and math when studying both electronics (now called ICT) and electric- & energy technology (electrical engineering and automation) at vocational school when we students just wanted to learn how to built stuff with our hands, hence vocational instead of academic. But, later when we actually understand those fields a bit more we suddenly realize the relation and why math and physics mattered.
I personally always slacked and never thorougly got to understand a lot of stuff at school, but I blame myself for not at the time seeing the correlation.
Point is, they teach you stuff for a reason.

I had the most fun with Vector calculus for my Masters in Mechatronics. Another part that I enjoyed thoroughly was Lagrangian mechanics for rotating bodies.

Honestly, I wish I pursued Physics after that but after 2-engineering degrees, I ultimately gravitated towards working and starting my own consultancy in the PaaS/SaaS/DevOps space.

For the OP - brush up on your math and do as much C/C++/Java programming as much as possible. Not everyone in your class at Uni is going to be ‘green’ out the door; some have parents who are professors and what I found was these kids were ‘ahead’ of the pack in many ways.

On of my mates would come to lectures, sleep 40 minutes during a 50 minute lecture. Wake up at the end, help the lecturer solve for a mistake he had made on the board, ultimately finding the ‘flaw’. Gets lauded by the professor for his help. Gets 99% or even 100% at the exams. He only paid 5-10mins of attention during each lecture.

Be prepared young padawan.

The amount of math would depend on the program, I think there’s less math than if you were doing physics or mechanical engineering more math than some other stuff.

Unless you’re doing crypto it’s really amazing how little math there’s in CS. Most of it has barely any, and the little it has, are back of the envelope performance calculations, or probability and statistics.

That said if you’re not interested, I wouldn’t recommend going into it if you have anything else you’re interested in. Because a) you can study something else and always go into computing later b) you’ll probably be better paid that way because even with low level cs skills you can easily position yourself as an enabler in any other profession.

For an AS, yes. For a BS, you will usually need to take everything up to and including calculus.

To expound on this, I had to take
Calc 1 and 2
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
Discrete Mathematics and Discrete Structures
Finite State Automata

I obtained a BS in Comp. Sci.

My friend that got scared by the Math switched to an IT degree and only needed to take Calc 1. Technically he only needed Algebra but he already took Calc 1.

Yeah I was apart of the computing program (Comp Sci), and switched to it as I only need Calc 1.

I suck at higher level maths.