How far have you / can you push the FX8350

Hi guys,

I was wondering how far anyone has pushed this chip in the past? I was thinking about a upgrade but the price point of intels at the moment is a joke and I want to etch a few more MHZ out of the poor thing! As long as it does not run like those old Cyrix processors I will be happy!

Any one :)?

Regards,

Ultirian Heavy Industry

4.3GHz might even be possible with standart voltage.

Its going to be somewhat limited, simply because if it were more capable it would have been binned as an 8370.

1 Like

A friend of mine got his 8350 to 4.6GHz.
I am rocking a 8320 at 4.12GHz with slightly higher voltage.
Where is the problem? Trying is free.

1 Like

I made this topic in the past, in which i posted scores that i was able to reach.
4.8GHz is the max i was able to get out of my FX8350.
Or atleast thats all that my motherboard allowed me to.

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/cinebench-r15-cpu-overclocking-score/60715

1 Like

Ah cool many thanks I will have a look in on that! :D

I got 4.4 stable out of stock voltage. 4.6 with voltage bumped up one notch.

I would say there are alot of factors to consider. How good is your mb for overclocking? Aircooling verses watercooling ? I have push buttoned overclocked my Sabertooth with an 8350 to 4.8 . No problem ? If i wanted to spent the time , i could take it further. Overclocking to the point of diminishing returns is a better goal to have. Like @Zypher720

I have a 212 Evo. I can't get the voltage high enough to support 4.6 because it gets hotter than what I'm comfortable with. Consumer grade overclocking is about getting free performance, not about spending $150+ to get a couple MHz higher.

Just go as high as you can before it breaks, then stop and just leave it there.

I have personally hit 5.25GHz on mine,
but I can easily hit 5.4GHz if I wanted to.
I do have an 280mm AIO though

Check this thread out.

I would say that is pretty good for an evo :) Which places you almost at the avg point of diminishing returns for most 8350's. I run D 14 for aircooling or H 100 for AIO watercool

I run 4.8ghz 24/7/365 on an FX-8320, and I have reached 5.0ghz with this particular chip. Main board is Sabertooth 990FX, cooling is a custom loop with 420mm worth of radiator. 8350 could maybe push a little more if it was a good example.

With a single 120mm radiator and a decent mid-range motherboard, 5GHz used to be very possible. Understand that newer FX-8350s are not as capable as the older chips, since they binned out all the great OC chips to make the 9370 and 9590.

That said, I hit 5.2GHz and ran it stable for a little over a year.

Do you think my 3 yr old chip will be able to step up to the mark?

Also I got a Asus M97 R2.0 what is pap but I was going to get a new motherboard anyway about 4 months before zen comes out get em on the cheap. As for cooling solutions I am open to ideas. Something decent priced.

I may still go to lan syndicate I am working out the logistics and saving the molah to get out there. I may pick up some parts in La-merica because it works out SO much cheaper to buy in the US. :<

Kind regards.

UHI.

Almost certainly with the proper supporting hardware. You need a good motherboard, something like a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 (or their new 990FX-Gaming), ASRock 990FX Extrem6 or Extreme9, or the ASUS 990FX Sabertooth. Combine that with a decent enough cooler, H80i, H100, Kraken X41 or X61 (if you have space) and a case with decent enough airflow to not allow hotspots to build up around the motherboard.

I dont like to go past [email protected] but i was playing with it to 4.7 but i don't dare to hold that 24/7 to much voltage and heat.

I even made a profile in the bios when my wife uses the pc (when i am at work or don't game on it) so i run 3ghz at 1v trying every day a notch lower. (it's not prime stable but you tube and fb are not that demanding ;D )

Come to think about it what is the lowest one could underclock? Is there any danger of to much underclocking and undervolting?

Sorry for my bad English

I got up to 5.1 on an early 8350 with a Sabertooth 990FX board and a Kraken X60. I kept it at 5.0 though to lower the voltage a bit. Was rock solid stable.

While I may not have an 8350 my 8320e is at 4.4Ghz at 1.35v so...reference I guess? My friend has an 8370 and got to 4.8 at just under 1.48v.

Running on air(Noctua NH14) and on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5(R3.0) I was able to hit 4.4 with 1.35V, avoided going higher due to ambient temp and my 770 keeping things warm.

5.0 at 1.45V cooled with a NH-D14. (got very lucky in chip lotto got a 9590 qualifier chip as 8350) will you get as good or better from an OC from a new chip doubtful. but could you do the same possibly but highly unlikely expect average results with an 8350 bought semi recently to be 4.6-4.7