How do you manage a domain with varying OS?

It’s not a certain batch that’s wrong we also have a company helping us with off-hours support around the world and they also experienced the same issue with dell and switched to Lenovo (which isn’t great as well but their service time is better). so it’s not just my experience.

2 Likes

I’ve had issues with dell and Lenovo in the pay but I’ve usually never had an issue getting it replaced so long as your a business customer. We always had pretty reasonable support from them.

X1s and XPS’ is what we usually go for, that or M1 macs now.

Your never not going to get hardware issues, but you should hopefully not be having issues just throwing them back at them and getting replacements.

I remember firmware issues with Dell power supplies , that was a fun one. Especially when their support were giving impossible instructions to upgrade them :joy: ended up using a ‘prep’ server to flash 100+ power supplies and switch them out one by one

2 Likes

Their power supplies have firmware? you mean laptop ones? or desktop ones?
so far I’ve had to upgrade firmware on docking stations and laptops, but one thing I never managed to do was upgrade the thunderbolt, their upgrader is crap.

2 Likes

For servers in that particular case. I did have a Lenovo docking station die on me recently as well thinking about it.

I’ve used heir firmware upgrader, it’s ok, I’ve had it fail to update firmware in the past as well.

All I’m saying is they’re really not better or worse than anyone else. Given a X1 and XPS for example and you really shouldn’t be seeing any huge difference on average, and IT should just be replacing any problem hardware that pops up. The cheaper stuff (for both companies) is a little more hit and miss

1 Like

Yes, we are not spending XPS money for everyone. we don’t have desktops at all in the company. so we have latitude and stuff like that. I am hoping framework will get more mainstream soon, and that I will be able to convince the powers that be that it’s a good product.

most of the failures are blue screens and thunderbolt ports that are failing. at least one of those is addressable with framework’s laptops.

2 Likes

Hm yeah I’m with you there, I think Lenovo tend to have a wider range of ‘better’ options. Dells I’ve usually never gone anywhere except XPS. I’ve had a few of their cheaper laptops for projects there ok, but not as reliable. Lenovo has better options there I think, X1 or T serious. Though I’d never give a T series to anyone travelling, they’re to heavy.

I hadn’t heard of framework, looks interesting. We’ll likely never had them here as it doesn’t look like they offer support/replacements and it would be more expensive to hire an in house repair guy for us atm. Maybe if there was a good third party support company that supported their laptops?

2 Likes

they offer replacement parts for everything like the ports and even the entire motherboard. Wendell has a video about framework, as well as Louis Rossmann and Linus from Linus tech tips.

The whole idea is that everything is serviceable by the user and no need for special tools.

1 Like

Yeah I get where they’re coming from, It’s interesting for a personal laptop for me. Our business situation though we don’t have a dedicated hardware servicing team so we’d need to send laptops off for repair or replacement or have someone come in and fix them. All options available with most large manufacturers. Doesn’t work for the size of our org but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t for yours. It’s an interesting idea of you have the resource to do in house servicing