How do you guys feel about Windows 10, willing to upgrade?

I will most likely keep Win 7 untill MS drops support for it.

They are actually listening to the community that use the OS everyday. I'd be glad to upgrade if the reviews are good.

I've been running the preview since day one - everything working well for me :) (games, work, etc)

Its probably not a free upgrade for schools/companies that use volume licensees of windows. also the free upgrade to 10 is only for win 7 and above.

1 Like

I will probably be running windows 8.1 until I upgrade my SLI 770s to a 390X, which won't happen until I get a 1440p monitor, which means I probably won't ever change to windows 10 due to perpetual lack of job and constant schoolwork.

Already running technical preview for several months with no issues

its free for one year....

Do you have a source that says that Volume Licensing is available to upgrade for free for one year.

Also the Upgrade is free for a year, Not the OS its self.
Saying it like that makes people think that after a year of use they will have to pay.

Volume licensing is handled very differently than normal windows licensing.

For example at my work we were forced to go from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 by Microsoft because they changed out our Volume keys from Win 7 to Win 8.

I'm aware of this. but like I said MS said "only for Windows 7, Windows 8.x and windows phone. Not windows vista or XP"

I don't have a source for this. its just me speculating. I base this off of the way MS has been wording this free upgrade. they are making out like its for retail/OEM versions only and knowing how MS handles their volume licensing. it just seems unlikely going to be free for volume licensing folks because an OS is part of the IT budget for any decent size company. companies would pay for windows 10 if it wasn't free and not think twice about it. But like I said this is just speculation from me. MS could prove me wrong and lose out on a bunch of money.

I dont quite know if ill upgrade immediately, because of how things might turn out im gonna remain sceptical and wait till about 3/4 through the free upgrade period to make my mind. i have been running on 7 for the longest time and still am so if 10 isn't too fucked and they allow you to cut cortana out (or someone makes a mod to keep her inactive and deaf) i will probably upgrade all of my pcs in my house to 10 and stay on the cutting edge. if not ill ride windows 7 untill support is dropped and find/make a linux distro that i like granted Nvidia/AMD get thier driver shit together for linux

What about the privacy issues of windows 10 - What are the trends from XP to 10 - Maybe just switch to Linux if it's going to Africa.

Its a free upgrade so i will give it a go and being a pc gamer i am going to whant that DX12 my work pc and craptop has allways been linux and will never change

I'd rather not upgrade if T&C from Technical Preview stays in final release.

It isn't free for enterprise level hardware guys sorry. Here's the quote directly from Microsoft's website.
" *Windows Offer Details

It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer and support terms in coming months."

(http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about)

It's only free for home user's because enterprise users will be offered a different upgrade deal from Microsoft.

1 Like

I like when my reasoned assumptions are right. lol.

Thanks for looking that up for us anyway.

I may run it on my laptop, but I think i'm just gonna stick with Windows 7 on my desktop.

I will most likely keep Win 7 untill MS drops support for it.

I believe they already have if im not mistaken, didn't they drop support for it like last april?

No, that was for Windows XP. They dropped extended support for Windows XP on 8 April 2014. And from what I understand, mainstream support for Windows 7 ended on 13 January 2015. Windows 7 is currently in its extended support cycle, which will not come to an end until much later.

Will probably dual boot at first and see how it goes.

I resisted 8.1 for quite some time,but since the change I really do not miss the start menu. Simply flick all the metro apps into the bin and pin what you use to the Metro UI. IMO it is so far superior to the clusterf*ck that is the start menu.

I really dislike the appearance of the win 10 start menu, but thankfully we can change that to the full screen. I only hope they make it easier to customise the tiles. ATM I use Oblytile to do this.

But yes I'm willing to give it a shot.