How do you consume media in bed?

That goes in the tech gore thread

4 Likes

I try not to do it, but if I do I just put on my TWS earbuds, put the phone face down on my night stand and listen to something. Sometimes I listen to videos aswell, if I gauge that from the title they’re not gonna need much in the way of watching.

2 Likes

Yep.
That’s actually me.

5 Likes

You are the man. Keep on keepin on.

4 Likes

I found that channel when researching air conditioners.

Great stuff.

4 Likes

A based channel. I love his dry approach. It is so campy. I have been watching him since the beginning. Who knew mundane things could be so damn interesting.

They do in color mode, but the Karta can fall back to B/W and give back the missing resolution. Basically in B/W mode they tend to be 600dpi but in color they range from 300 - 320dpi. There is a new eInk based on a slurry technique that can be promising but so far the execution has been mostly software issues. If you look at the Good eReader channel, they cover everything new and in the works.

They are so far the hands down best implementation of color and eReaders and Note takers. I like the Sony and Fujitsu offerings from a pure note taker because they are the most polished but they require a PC to use software to get things on and off of them. I use GNU/Linux so anything that ties me to a PC (especially MS Windows and MacOS) is a hard pass. “Do you guys not have phones…”

2 Likes

Those are oddly interesting. They sometimes give me nightmares though.

Ranch makes everything taste better. That is the only way that I can stomach all of these high computer part prices. /s

1 Like

I find a nice sweet shiraz offsets the bitter Nand bite…

1 Like

Thank you.
And I will.

1 Like

Oh that’s interesting. I considered the karta, but ended up passing on it because it was too much and the tech was still too new. I think I will get a more mature version once my onyx dies

They are already on version 2.5. Pandemic slowed things down but we should see some high DPI models next year.

1 Like

I just… hold my phone xD I went from a laptop on a side table, to connecting my PC to my TV opposite my bed and controlled it with my Steam Controller, then when I moved to my new flat I just used my phone

1 Like

I don’t. My bed has only two uses : sleeping and having sex. I do not even go into my bedroom unless I need to do one of those two things or clean it.

When I was a kid, though, I used to read books before going to sleep. The nice thing is they aren’t very heavy and do not need to be charged or plugged into anything.

2 Likes

I’ve been enjoying this setup. Great for reading/watching videos

2 Likes

that looks sweet

1 Like

Best way is to put your phone charger out of reach. I put mine on the cabinet across the room from my bed.

3 Likes

I have a smart TV, it even got absolutely soaked by rain once, but it still works perfectly.
Its literally right in front of my bed, so i just sit there and watch it.

2 Likes

Used to have a 49" TV on a desk, but now I’m just laying on a side and hold my phone with the free hand (the one I’m not laying on). I might do a cardboard support for my phone to hold it up for me. Maybe… I sleep on the floor, so I have no worries about where I leave my phone, because it can’t fall off if it’s already on the floor (insert roll safe meme here). Also, the whole floor is a nightstand. And yes, I love sleeping on the floor, I prefer hard surfaces. I sleep terrible when I’m on a soft bed.

TBH, after I get my Pi setup back up and running (soonTM), I probably won’t look at my phone as often anymore, because I have a passionate hate for phones (and this dang auto-correct!). So I might not consoom product in bed anymore. I’m currently in a place where I can’t really buy stuff or modify the space, so I’m restrained a little to what I can do, but when I move, I’ll probably end up having a coffee table and either a pillow or at most a beanbag as my setup. I could either sit or stretch myself.

I’m hoping that I’ll get a space with a separate room for my computer and work stuff, because back when I lived in a studio apartment, I used to lay in bed and very rarely fall asleep (thankfully, my notifications, mails, chats and especially the loudass Nagstamon alerts always woke me up).

Personal sleep experience rant

Personally, I never had any issues with sleeping with screens in the same room as my bed (probably because I’m used to lowering the screen luminosity when my eyes feel tired, after sunset and enabling “night light” screen modes when available). Bad sleeping habits and waking up in the middle of the night happen either because I’m not comfortable (position, dry mouth, too hot, too cold, full bladder etc.), or because of changing lighting conditions (usually when it’s a full moon and the moon shines through my window straight in my face).

Lately I’ve woken up a lot during the night and my guess is probably because I sleep an hour or two during the day. I’ve tried to stay awake, but I’m not used to having an AC and it blows through the whole room where I’m staying, so I usually get under my blanket and then fall asleep. :man_shrugging:

My portable monitor has a kick-stand, so I can’t point it towards the floor if I will put it on a coffee table, so I might need a spider-holder vesa mount arm to point out towards me when I lay in my “bed.” But then again, I wish it won’t be in the same room, not because of sleep issues during the night, but because of potential sleep during the day, lmao.

I’m kinda used to falling asleep while listening to podcasts (including level 1 news), so I always have to rewatch the next day, so it might be a good idea to not have my PCs in the room I sleep in. Or maybe I should set my bed in the closet, who knows… But then I’ll absolutely need an alarm clock with a built-in lightbulb, so it shines light in the morning on me. Usually I wake up when the sun rises, but if the room I sleep in is completely dark, I need artificial light to get up. This is why I don’t close the blinds at night and wake up because of the moon – because I need the sun to wake up in the morning without feeling tired. It’s incredible how refreshing it feels when you are being woken up by the sun, compared to when you have to wake up to a loud sound (alarm clock), but without any light around you. I really prefer rooms with windows pointed towards the east, when I slept in rooms pointed towards the west, it’s night and day difference. I currently have windows to south and west, so the one on the south gets direct sunshine starting around 8:30 am. Not bad, but could be better. At least I’m getting some amount of light starting at 7ish am.

Post made by the #floorgang

1 Like

I prefer sleeping on the floor too…lol

I ended up getting this thing as a temporary solution, which is hard to adjust, but you get used to it. If I’m lucky I fall asleep before the sun comes up, otherwise it shines right in my window and I get no sleep.

1 Like