How do you actually use a "NAS" box?

Hey all, I've been building my homelab up and I've come across 2x Iomega IX12s that I'll be picking up off of CL. I've never used a "NAS" box before so I'm a little confused as to how it's used effectively. I don't have the exact model number but I believe it to be this item ( https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16822186257/specs ). Since it has It's own real processor and RAM, do you just install Windows on it and go about your day? I was more interested in making it just a network drive that a Plex server can use as a resource. Anyone have any suggestions on how to into this to me? I'm going from 8TB of local storage to adding two of these devices for a total of 40TB across the network.

have fun

2 Likes

Your Newegg link just redirects me to their homepage.

Not sure which one you are getting but those ix12-300r is a core 2 duo e8400 processor and 12 bays of storage. How much you paying for them if you don't mind me asking?

350 for two with 18x 2TB Drives. Seems like a good deal?

That is worth it for the drives as long as the drives dont have high hours on them. They are dated hardware but you should be able to get some use out of them as a NAS.

1 Like

I'm assuming it's a standalone NAS with an embedded Linux distribution which you will access the GUI via a web browser.

You'll use that interface to create NFS, iSCSI or Windows SMB compatible file shares that you can attach to using just Linux/Windows or whatever's running the Plex server.

1 Like

Give open media vault a shot.