How do I properly terminate a Cat6A shielded cable. Information on RG6Q is also welcome

So, my brother in law has pulled Cat6A F/UTP cable through his house. I have been looking on YouTube for a consensus on how to properly terminate it with the grounding/shielding connected properly. It seems everyone has a different method.

They removing the foil, or fold it back to make contact with the plug ‘wings’.

They wrap the drain wire around 4 of the wires going into the plug and then crimp the connection so the wire touches the inside casing of the plug, or they spool the drain wire up under the ‘wings’.

I’ve even seen folding back the drain wire using copper conducive tape (with conductive adhesive) over the drain wire and/or the foil, and then heat shrink over the entire plug.

Any clarity on what is considered best practice would be appreciated.

Any advice on RG6Q would also help,

I’ve seen them strip and remove the outer jacket along with outer weave, then peel the foil off and discard, then fold the inner weave back.

I’ve also seen them strip the outer jacket leaving the outer weave on, so they can fold the outer weave back, pull the foil off and discard, and fold the inner weave back with the outer weave.

This is best practice afaik, but it might depend on the connectors you’re using.

Nvm, I was confusing the foil with the wire. This is how I’ve done it.

4 Likes

You’re terminating to a keystone jack, right?

A photo or two to better see what connector you have would help.

Edit: if you are doing rj45 plug (not socket), that video above is good for that (just seen it, although it’s cat 6 which is easy peasy compared to SFTP cat6a). Any foil/wave from shielding should already be in contact with the ground wire, but you can help make sure that’s the case by doing the wrapping around… as long as it doesn’t make it harder for you to actually crimp.

1 Like

He isn’t sure if he wants to spring for shielded jacks yet, I was going to suggest at the very least we put those on the PoE lines we’re going to start with. Then there was talk of using keystone mounted couplers, which basically are those dual receptacles that can mount into keystone holes. I know punch down jacks are the way to go, but time may be short due to the electrician showing up.

Does anyone have experience with RG6Q? This may be the wrong forum for that but I figured someone might have wired up their ‘smart home’ or done a low voltage system overhaul or something.

How many cables are you running in parallel together? And at what distance. Normally it’s not really that important, I guess it’s nice and clean solution to ground the “Faraday cage” around various noisy circuits but it’s usually not super critical from an Ethernet signal quality perspective.

Picture of your parts might help

So far he has pulled Shielded Cat6A from trueCABLE. I don’t know what supplier he went with for the RG6Q, or CL3. I still need to get termination tools and supplies. My old stuff is junk I haven’t used for a long time.

Before I get another crimper I could use some advice on if the ‘pull through’ modular RJ45 connectors for the Cat6A are a bad idea or if there is no real difference.

I was going to grab some blank keystone patch panels from CableMatters as I am using one in my home rack and it seemed to work fine. I’m also using CableMatters couplers, but since it is just in my rack I can fix things easily. I’m not sure if punchdown jacks are a considerably better idea than couplers.

After he decides what camera system to go with etc, I’ll just buy the short cables to connect it to the PoE switch, or if he is supplying beverages, I may make them by hand.

I know I’m asking a lot and I truly appreciate all your input and the time you’ve taken to even read this.