How do I know if my CPU is my CPU?

Hey, that sounds intresting, how do you bust a cpu using a battery?

-Fallen

I’ve never bothered personally, but I’d imagine taking a 9V battery and dragging it slowly across the pins/pads would do the trick.

If you try, let us know.

I cleaned the CPU with Arctic Clean which may have resulted some liquid marks beneath the CPU, and that’s why they are using as an excuse to deny my RMA. Geez apparently I am the worst serial killer in the world because I have failed to kill about 4 or 5 CPUs already. Supposedly, they sent it to someone for assessment, but they don’t tell me the result of it.

I assume someone had to delid it to assess it properly, but that’s just my assumption.

Thanks, but I don’t agree. Really, I didn’t have to disclose everything. As I said, all I’m trying to know is whether there’s a way to reliably identify a CPU, it’s only when people get curious and want to know more that they don’t need to know to answer a question. Where I bought the CPU from? Why would I be so paranoid about them counterfeiting or messing with my CPU? These are irrelevant to my question.

…except of course, people are always curious. :joy:

Well apparently I’m dealing with a shitty dealer.

It seems to me that if you were capable of checking all of the things you are paranoid about (de-lidding and replacing with a counterfeit IHS, checking the serial number of dead silicon, etc.) you would need to be a dealer with expensive advanced testing tools.

Don’t worry so much and work the system that exists to your advantage. It’s just going to take a while, but you have to be more patient than they are. They are counting on you getting frustrated and giving up. Just keep RMA-ing until you get a good CPU. If / When that doesn’t happen, copy AMD on all the correspondence with your shady dealer.

You should get a good chip (eventually) or at least get the crappy dealer flagged by AMD for anti-consumer practices and they won’t be able to sell defective Ryzen CPU’s to others.

You don’t “have to,” of course. Just speaking from the perspective of someone who wanted to help out and offer an answer, but was confused about the circumstances. It’s hard to answer a question when you don’t understand it, because you can’t be confident that your answer will be correct/useful.

If the dealer/retailer is dodgy like this, wouldn’t it help your fellow fourumites out to name and shame?
So no one else has to suffer in future?
Unless it was some EBay shop or something…

I agree if I want to be helped, I should first help people understand my problem and providing more information is a good way to do it.

But get this: in this specific case, I could have written the post like “I have a dead piece of silicon. I sent it to someone else and I wonder if there’s a way to identify it once it comes back?” I really don’t think I needed to provide anything more than that to get my question answered. Actually people are probably only confused because I disclosed something but not everything.

Why am I even arguing about this…

Assuming main audience of this forum is from the US, it is most likely irrelevant. But I might bombard them on social media. Well people are already doing it, shame I didn’t read them first. I did have a relatively pleasant history with them, which was why I didn’t bother in the first place, but what did I know…

I don’t know. I’m honestly not arguing the point either. This was only meant as helpful advice for next time.

+1 for social media bombardment. and make sure AMD knows.

(i haven’t read the full thing but: )

There’s something called small claims court
Use it.

End their shady business, and profit from it.
In USA limit is $10k. - different countries, different limits etc.
(sue them for the value of hardware you bought, and time lost on dealing with them)

If they do not agree with ruling of the small claims court; It will go to normal court automatically without additional any cost to you - but them, and judges will impose even greater fine on them. (have you heard the story of a woman who sued mcdonalds for burning her tongue with coffee? She got $2.7million when it got to normal court, and case started in small claims court.)

Yeah, it’s called bullshit FUD by McDonald’s to sway public opinion against the plaintiff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald’s_Restaurants

/OT

1 Like

We do have it here, although it probably does not work the same in the US.

My local legal service commission told me: no, the time and wage (well I’m paid salary but probably will have to use annual leave) ARE NOT PAID.

I hate laws but I have to try not to break them :frowning:

small claims court in ireland used to cost 200euro for case (where you get representative from law school - not a real lawyer, a student) usually the companies would prefer to settle than deal with suit.

This thread was wild from start to finish, lol I’ve never heard of a retailer making the effort to delid a CPU just to rip someone off. Like I really think that suggesting this as a possibility without any kind of proof is unreasonable. I’ve worked for a variety of small shops and I’ve never heard of that.

I’m a bit bothered that you didn’t start your story with this information; it makes your side less believable. But I sincerely doubt this would kill a CPU. More than likely that is an excuse.

If you have any kind of warranty, they should be covering this anyway. This is why I don’t mess with dealers anymore. Just build your own shit, you get more for your money and its less hassle that way, as long as you buy you parts from reputable retailers.

Side note:

You should watch the documentary ‘Hot Coffee’ regarding that particular case. The case was won more with photo evidence from the aftermath more than anything.

I have although it’s been quite a while. McDonald’s still ran a huge disinformation campaign to turn public opinion towards their favor. But hey, just keep the coffee so hot that no one can sit around long enough to use the “free refills” perk.

1 Like