How do I identify Cisco switch ,router and firewall?

How do I identify cisco switch, router and firewall from each other by looking at them at first glance in the server room?

Is there a way to identify them from each other other than how they are connected and where the cable is going?

I may not be shown the front which might say router, switch or firewall. Most likely i will be tested randomly such as, can you tell me which on e is router, switch or fire wall.

I would really appreciate if there is different ways to identify them by looking at them at first glance.

If here is a picture, article or video that shows the difference please do suggest. I tried searching everywhere and i couldn’t find one.

regards,

Alex

You would have to memorize the model numbers and what the stacks look like. Otherwise, I don’t think you would know since there are also L3 switches that are as big as the routers.

1 Like

Why?
Are you planning sabotage?

Cisco’s naming conventions are almost as much caveat as rule by now, but in general the switches say “Catalyst” or “Nexus” on them somewhere, depending on which line they are. Sometimes Catalyst gets shortened to C, so C3970 is a switch. It’s been ages since I’ve dealt with the firewalls, but ASA or Firepower are the words I’d look for. If it just has a number on it, and nothing else, it might be a router. This probably falls apart for weirder carrier-grade devices.

1 Like

1 Like