How do I become a better programmer?

A little off topic, but it sounds like you might be interested in front end development. You should check out the thread about why the World Wide Web sucks and watch the Lunduke guys video about the current state of the World Wide Web.

You might find it interesting.

1 Like

Repetition. If someone wrote a program you like, write it for yourself and add things you would like. Write it in a dofferent language. I'm currently doing a tutorial series for beginners in Python here you are welcome to join. I will be doing community challenges as well

Maybe start your own tutorial series... Or community projects

It is on my list for today, I watch the Lunduke hour whenever it is posted normally missed the last few day, seen it in my sub box, thanks for the reminder, I like front end, may do it for a while, but I do want to do other things I feel like front end is nice, but i mean it is design focused for the most part, my current goal for myself is to help in some way with a distribution of Linux and actually make an impact, not be an annoying little brother and need people to hold my hand all the time. Trying to get that over with on here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thinking that is my problem right now, a bit burnt out from college, it happens. Slacking a bit with learning outside of school and not really coding as I should. Need to deal with burn out I guess. I have been learning about computers non stop for about 5 years, had a problem of learning things then never using them, I have picked up Java syntax 3 times then never using it, learned the syntax for a few languages never used them. I mean it first time I have used HTML and CSS in 2 years. Need to get more involved quit focusing on learning languages more on using them getting good at them and moving forward in some way not forever learning a new language just to forget it in a year.

Going to work for JavaScript and jQuery for now, I really do want to learn python, but like i just kind of decided I may need to drop learning new languages and work with what I already know. ( I know JavaScript syntax decently, just haven't used it in about 6 months never used it then just picked it up for a bit ) The only advantage that learning languages then not using them has provided is I tend to pick up the syntax really quickly, problem is I confused libraries and built in functions a lot.

I am going to get involved with community projects, I think I am going to fix the getting burnt out my making something achieving a goal, being a website to market my self as a web developer and photographer hopefully after that I will learn javascript and use a good bit of JavaScript and feel like what I have learn over the years wasn't useless.

1 Like

You learn to deal with that and you're a programming pro already :slight_smile: . Everyone gets burned out at one time or another. If you know how to deal with it, you get back faster, and you learn to say "no, it's me time now, see you tomorrow". A few not-too-bad ways to deal with it (if it is your first time with programming-related fatigue):

• take things small and slow, no more than you can easily work with
  • expose yourself to new physical sensations
  • expose yourself to emotions
  • learn things that have nothing to do with what you've just been doing (making music and arts is a good idea, even when it is done badly)

Mainly, give yourself a chance to operate in a different mode. Just like with muscle fatigue - use your other muscles.