How did you start with Tech?

You betcha! In fact, when I was doing some batch scripting for easily backing up files from my USB, the IT guy came up behind me and said that that code could be used to break into the school system and that I was the prime suspect if anything happened to the network! .bat files were then promptly blocked altogether on the school computers. Although, if you ran them from inside a zip folder, they still worked; then he blocked CMD altogether. I managed to get around it though as USB booting wasn't blocked on some computers so I booted into linux, renamed "sethc.exe" in the system32 folder to "sethc1.exe", renamed "cmd.exe" to "sethc.exe", rebooted into windows, pressed shift five times at the login screen and bingo! CMD with administrator privileges without logging in! Then I found out how to shutdown computers on the network with the command line... Let's just say I had fun on muck up day.

1 Like

I didn't do a lot of that but I managed to find workarounds to the proxy that was on the computers and blocked certain websites, I then proceeded to sit in the back of my classes and watch anime and YouTube all day

1 Like

ah yes I am very familiar with the sethc method, I used to use it to get into computers that ppl had forgotten their passwords for. My school was the same with the batch files. The school computers have a little neat script that makes a message box saying "Hello, NAME, welcome, blah blah blah". The point is, it would startup and ppl used to think it was cool. So me being the show off I was coded one (Its a VBS script) and saved it.

Aaaaannd my account got shutdown. Fuck. So I sent them an email and they didn't like what I did, but they re enabled it for me. A month later I make a batch file (A matrix I was going to use to freak ppl out :D ), which did the same thing. ;)

1 Like

Parents bought me a computer when I was 11 (2005). It kind of just escalated from there. Messed around with Linux in 2008. Now i'm a programmer. I've had a computer since I was a kind, maybe 4 or 5. The one I got when I was 11 was mine and it was new, not a crappy hand me down. Wasn't much, but it started everything. I'm going to try and do the same for one of my cousins for Christmas this year.

1 Like

I think almost everyone in here has enjoyed Linux thoroughly. :D

1 Like

I do but trying to install it on a Tablet PC running Win10 is a pain in the butt, still haven't gotten it working yet

Same problem with my HP Stream 7. One day i'll sit down and figure it out. Today is not that day.

1 Like

yeah partitioning is a bitch.

It's not partitioning that's the problem though, can't boot into the USB drive that was Ubuntu on it, I have found a work around but need another more powerful computer with Linux on it for some of the process and when I replaced my broken HDD with an SSD and installed Win10 trying to dual boot just doesn't work

that sounds terrible. Hope you figure it out, I have no idea.

1 Like

Hope I do as well, I don't mind Win10 but as a daily driver I'd prefer Linux

yeah I am dual booting win10 with Ubuntu gnome and I love gnome but drivers and games / applications is just a pain, so I have been running win for now. :(

I'm guessing you can't replace the hard drive on the tablet.

normally tablet drives are annoying :(

1 Like

Not the internal flash memory that I want to install it on, I could replace the HDD in the removable keyboard but there's no option in the BIOS to boot to it and I don't want to have to flash a hacked BIOS onto the chip

hmm... http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-boot-defaults-options-dual-booting-windows-10

If you still can't get it working, maybe make a post, I am sure someone can figure it out :) good luck!

1 Like

It started with my love of building things and love of video games.. the two mashed together in 2013 and I learned more about computer components in a couple months than about 99% of the population, the rest is history.

1 Like

hmmm... http://superuser.com/questions/499617/how-can-i-add-linux-to-the-new-windows-8-boot-manager

1 Like

Yeah, The dual booting problem with my main laptop is weird, when I got to install Ubuntu it doesn't detect any other OS's when Windows 10 is obviously there and when I install anyway the Win10 bootloader takes over and doesn't detect Ubuntu. When I install Ubuntu with wubi I can boot into it using the Win10 bootloader but the Ubuntu doesn't work because the partition isn't set up properly. So I need to do more tinkering to get it working, I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu and I'm going to try a different mounting method and see if that works

1 Like