How can you know what size the individual pixels are in a display?

Basically title, I’m wondering why I can’t seem to find a standard measurement (I was mainly looking at displayspecifications.com) for the size of each individual pixel on a display. I am wondering this measurement because it would allow you to know how much black space there is between pixels on a display, as more black space can cause a screen door effect at close viewing distances.
Here is a little image I made in paint to help explain:
https://i.imgur.com/83XdKOC.png
As you can tell, these would have the same pixel pitch and same PPI, but Example A with its larger pixels would be more desirable as there is less black space between the pixels.

Edit: So I think the answer is that there is no answer, appreciate the replies guys!
As for the issue with my monitor I mentioned, it’s not really noticeable if I try to keep the monitor a good distance away, so it is not much of a concern, it was really just what sparked my curiosity and led me to this question as it is such a high PPI display yet still suffers from screen door up close, so I was wondering if it maybe had something to do with the pixel size. Thanks everyone!!

Never seen this being an issue maybe at low ppi but not on higher end, what display are you concerned about?

1 Like

I just bought a LG 27UD88 (4k 27in AH-IPS) off of eBay used and love it so far, except for one this issue where from closer distances (maybe 15 inches or closer) the image looks almost interlaced, most notably on greys and whites. I only notice it with horizontal lines, but I believe it is just the screen door effect, perhaps I am mistaken though. When I inspect the panel up close (or from any distance where I would normally notice the lines) with a camera there aren’t horizontal lines or anything so I believe it’s just an optical illusion with the combination of the pixel size and pixel arrangement. They aren’t scan lines; the lines are static. That’s all just my guessing though as I’m no display expert, but this is all what led me to this question!

1 Like

if you’re only concerned with the dark negative space between pixels, that is a pretty obscure specification. I don’t know what it’s called, but It doesn’t come up too often.

I think it’s a bigger issue with projectors but don’t quote me on that.

1 Like

If not screen door, then maybe it’s a cable problem, like it’s dying or is not seated all the way. Or maybe a port issue. :thinking:

You said you bought it used, do you know if the monitor was ever refurbushed?

Nice monitor by the way

2 Likes

You aren’t supposed to look at a monitor from that distance… Seriously…

1 Like

Same thing when I tried manufacturer included DP and HDMI cables. So that rules out port issue as well assuming BOTH ports aren’t faulty. Just used not refurb. Thanks!!

1 Like

This is the first I’ve stepped up above 24 inch, my desk doesn’t really allow for it to be any further back :confused:
To clarify I’m around exactly the threshold where the issue becomes noticeable I’d say, at around 15 inches, I don’t ever go closer than that.

1 Like

Are you sitting above or below the level of the monitor? IPS panels have great horizontal viewing angles but start getting washed out on the vertical. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, ok… I figure that’s not what you’re talking about. Seriously though I can’t remember if there is any particularity to AH-IPS or if their just faster response time? Nvm, just appears to be a quality qualification nothing specifically different in the design it seems. Go figure. It is called In Plane Switching after all.

Sometimes its called “dot pitch”.
Higher quality panels have smaller dot pitch in the same size while TV’s typically have a larger dot pitch and this is why they are worse for text, are better viewed from further away and much cheaper to manufacture.

2 Likes

Interesting! Although that seems to be about the subpixels rather than the pixels, still thank you for mentioning it!

Oddly enough, this used to be a common specification listed back in the days of CRTs. My old Samsung syncmaster 19" had a pixel width of 0.18mm. I always wondered if going to HD format was actually a downgrade for computer monitors by having less pixel density.