How can I make a simple SMS messaging app to test how communication works?

Hello. I am super new to programming apps. I have previous basic C++, VHDL/Verilog and HTML/CSS/JS experience. I want to practice a project. Sending an SMS and figuring out how communication works intrigued me. But I have no clue where to start. And I really do not want to program in Java.

1. Is there a way to program in Python or any other language to make an SMS app?
  2. Can I use Android Studio for other languages?
  3. Can Unreal be used for game making? Or what's better?
  4. Where can I find libraries? I see posts on the sub showing off new libraries. But I don't even know where to find the basic ones.

Is there a proper up-to date guide for the entire process of app making and testing? I couldn't find new stuff for android 7.
Thank you. Super sorry for noob questions. I didn't know where to ask on how to get started.

1 Like

There is probably an API for Android Studios but did you just want to make something that works or did you want to make it from the hardware level?

1 Like

What would either of those look like? I don't have lots of time to spend but if it helps me learn I am willing to try the harder one. Thing is this is not for my career just for fun so the easier option is more appealing.
Are you suggesting an API for Python for Android Studio?
I heard its really easy to make Hybrid Apps using Ionic 1. And that it can easily be ported to iOS. There is just so much stuff that I am confused at where to look and where to start.

I dont mean for Python, a Java api probably, I think I used something like it before but that was a long time ago.

I've been working on mobile applications for a few years professionally. I'll offer what I can from my experience.

1. There are a few different platforms/methods for mobile development. As far as native development, Android uses Java and iOS uses Objective C and/or Swift. There are a few options for mobile development based on Javascript. I have a little experience with a few of them and it has always ended in frustration. Where I work we use Xamarin, which is an outgrowth of the Mono project and allows you to code in c# and access .net stack in addition to the native SDKs. It isn't without its own frustrations, but I have never run into something I couldn't do on a project because of the platform. It's also nice to be able to share so much code between iOS and Android. Xamarin was recently bought by Microsoft, which may be a pro or a con depending on your attitude toward M$. They have plugins to enable development using Visual Studio, as well as their own free IDE. One pro after the M$ acquisition is that they have greatly expanded their free tier.

2. I don't touch Android studio much, sorry.

3. There are ways to develop mobile games with the Unreal engine, but I don't have any experience here. I've tinkered with Unity engine a bit, and I know there are some successful games built using the engine.

4. For libraries, I'm not entirely clear what you're looking for. I use NuGet packages a lot for specific capabilities (REST client, ORM, barcode scanning). A lot of the time, just ask Google and look for something well documented. There are a lot of open source libraries available on github.

Xamarin has a lot of documentation on their website, as well as a lot of how to videos on YouTube. I spent my first week on the job watching training videos on Pluralsight, though that requires a subscription.

I hope some of this was helpful.

1 Like

Yes this was useful. Helped clear some doubt. I will see what I can do about Xamarin. I do have VS Pro from university so thats all good.