How can I (a bicycle rider) be less annoying on the road?

In smaller european cities you can be as fast on a bike as in a car.
Unless there are cars in the way of course.... :P

Use smaller roads that are simply less frequented, try to match the speed of the cars
and most of all be predictable! Move like a car, do not snag through every gap.

Use the bike lane, if there isn't one stay to the side and be cautious. I live in California and cyclists think they are going the speed limit... I assure you you're not. Also they can be total dickheads, but as I said earlier its California. If I get stuck behind a biker on an uphill slope, best be assured I will speed up at the peak and put on the breaks so you can't have your joy ride going down hill.

They say it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk in my city but they don't enforce the law. I have no problem moving out of the way for cyclists or whatever as I wouldn't bike on these roads in my city as the drivers are horrible. If you can ride on the sidewalk in your city do it. Also though if you do that when crossing at a crosswalk please get off your bike and walk it across. It makes it easy for traffic to see you.

they can, though. be aware.

In my town, if you are younger then 18 you have to ride on the sidewalk.

If your over 18 you have to ride in the street.

I look younger then 18, even tho I'm over 18. So I ride on the sidewalk.

Walkers are always nicer then drivers. Let me tell you.

It's true! Taking a bike on a regular city road is what it is. Speed limit is usually 30-35 MPH so it's easier for vehicles to move around a cyclist.

That said, if you use a bike on a major highway (say, highway 50 in Orlando, also known as Colonial Dr.) find another route or get a Moped, something that can keep up with the traffic. Cyclists on the highway are a danger to themselves and others.

1 Like

highways (in the US, anyway) have signs that say "no bicycles." major ones, that is. if there's no such restriction, then you still belong/are allowed.

I cycle a lot to university and back, we have a cycle line with crosswalks on it and pedestrians insist on stopping at the edge and waiting for me, I end up just thanking them as I pass but it is a bit awkward as I know they have right of way. Pedestrians who walk on cycle paths as well annoy the hell out of me, especially when there is a wide pavement next to it especially for them.

One thing I find annoying as a driver is when cyclists have retina burning/suntan inducing lights on their bikes, it's just as bad as someone driving at your with full beam on a car and it's quite dangerous.

1 Like

Ways to make easy money

• ride on highway with a bicycle and upload it to YouTube.
1 Like

I'm not making the case that cyclists can't be there but shouldn't. It's in their best interest anyway. It'd be like a turtle trying to keep with up a buffalo herd or something similar.

Just throwing down some common sense that many cyclists don't seem to have in Orlando.

Maybe in your area, but certainly not mine. Never seen such a sign on any highway.

@meetOwl Do the world a favor and stay off highways that don't have a large shoulder. That right there is a life saving tip for ya.

nothing. what a lot of people dont understand is a bicycle is seen as a legal vehicle and has the same right to the full lane as any other vehicle. i know this and i have held up a multitude of cars because lets face it my truck is a lot bigger than the bike. i have no problem waiting and letting you safely get to your destination. like i said, i will even hold traffic up for you so you dont have to worry about someone flying up and hitting you

I'm glad you mentioned this. It triggered a thought.

Can a cop ticket a cyclist that is not going the speed limit. hmmmmmm....

well i know if you are above the speed limit they can. but idk about being below. one of the towns i lived in, had cops that could easily peddle 35+ MPH on flats. they were in serious shape with massive calves

Its a speed limit not speed minimum. So generally no unless your laws are different. Oh unless your talking about going over the speed limit, then of course they can ticket you.

On the highway thing, in the UK, only certain vehicles can travel on motorways, this excludes among other things, bicycles.

one time i was in michigan visiting some family and noticed on their highways there that they actually had a posted minimum speed

Many highways in the USA have minimum speed also. That said, even roads that do not have posted minimums depending on the state.

Taken directly from the florida state drivers handbook

"Driving Too Slowly is also Against the Law

Drive with the flow of traffic (within the speed limit). You should not drive so slowly that you block other vehicles moving at normal, safe speeds. You can be issued a ticket for driving too slowly. When the posted speed limit is 70 mph, the minimum speed limit is 50 mph."

Man, that would be the day, to see a cyclist get a ticket lol.

1 Like

wasnt there a study done showing that driving slower than traffic is more dangerous than speeding?

That would make sense to me.

Speed limits are made to make sure everyone is going at a similar relative speed to each other...or at least that's what I gather.

Mostly just stop at stop signs, stop at red lights and don't bike across crosswalks as if you're a pedestrian because that's a good way to get hit. Usually cyclists aren't a big deal as long as they either commit to staying to the side or clearly take the lane if you can't stay to the side. My close calls are usually at a T-intersection by my house when cyclists think they can sit on the right side of a right turn lane and turn left from that position. Mostly just common sense. Also if you value your life have reflective clothing, a helmet and lights at night.

I can empathize with someone who is travelling from point a to point b.

I refuse to empathize with, or flat out hate, jackasses lollygagging about in lycra, pretending they are in the Tour De France, holding everyone else up.