How big of a cooler am I really going to need for this?

FX-8350

Asrock 970 Extreme 4

8GB 1600 ram OC'd to 1866

Radeon 5850

700watt psu

Lots of fans.

That's my setup, basically. Now, I want to OC the crap out of the 8350.. My goal is to shoot for 5ghz... In time. Let's be realistic, here. How big of a cooler should I really be shooting for? Obvious liquid cooling is obvious, but I'm trying to blow as little money on it as I can.

Might just make my own cooler completely. I have a few PWM fans lying around, and I could always get a rad from the junkyard and grab some tubing/pump from wherever. It would be cheaper, I'm just worried about how effective it would be.

Should I buy, or build? And if I buy, what's my cheapest option that will still keep my temps decent?

Burmp.

Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo lol xD Good enough airflow you can get this thing to 5.0-5.2 easy

Um.

Are you fucking kidding me? No, the 212 evo is a mid range cooler. You're never going to get to 5ghz with a 212.

If you don't want to get a closed loop water cooling kit, then I would recommend the either the Noctua NH-D14, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, or Thermalright Silver Arrow. If you want something cheaper then the Cooler Master V6 GT, Cooler Master TPC 812, and Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Edition are all good alternatives.

Heres JJ getting a i7 2600K to 5.2 on a Cm Hyper 212 evo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lajZi-JAFXA

I feel like water cooling is that way to go with this, honestly. Air coolers are just too big and bulky. Not pleasing aesthetically.

I feel like I want to make my own, here. And by that I mean, getting parts from the junkyard and stuff. I love doing things myself.

Go for it Watercooling is very fun to do lol with the new AIO kits that you can but like the one from (I for get the company) that you can buy the 240mm RAD pump and tup combo and run a GTX 680 and the CPU off of it with just the CPU block/pump combo is pretty fun and cool to do. :)

You're joking right? There are so many things wrong with that video, it's not even funny. 

A) They never ran a CPU stability test

B) They never checked CPU temperatures

C) They ran a video card benchmark

D) There are warning messages popping up in the bottom right corner of the screen at 8:10 probably because they applied way too much voltage or temperatures are way too high.

E) Just because you can crank up the volts on your CPU and set your clock speed to 5.2Ghz doesn't mean it's stable. This is just a marketing video for the motherboard, and it shows considering they never actually stability tested the CPU. Believe it or not it takes more than two minutes to set up a stable overclock no matter what board you're using.

I wouldn't grab random parts from the junkyard if I were you. People haven't done that for a really long time, because companies actually make specific parts for water cooling. How much are you willing to spend on a custom water cooling loop?

I understand this but the Hyper 212 is still one of the best air cooling systems out there no matter what you say it is a fact.

I know they do, but I have think I have enough knowledge now to figure it out. I'm basically just buying the rad from the yard, and everything else i can find online. The waterblock I probably will just buy, though. Maybe the same for the resevoir. 

No it's not. You're full of shit. It's probably the best cooler for its price point of $30, but there are plenty of coolers out there that wipe the floor with it. You just have to spend a little more money. It's nice for $30, but it's a piece of shit compared to anything in a higher price bracket.

You don't necessarily have to put a lot of thought into the reservoir. Just find one you think looks nice and has all the inlets and outlets you want and you're good to go. When it comes to the CPU water block, I would recommend either the XSPC Raystorm or Swiftech Apogee HD. Swiftech makes some really nice pumps as well.

You could always buy a whole kit from XSPC which would probably be cheaper too. It would come with the CPU block, pump, reservoir, radiator, fittings, and tubing.

Well... I was shooting for below 50 bucks, probably won't happen, though. Oh well. The kit would probably run me too much. 

Besides, I wanna see how custom I can get here. I'm a kinsthetic learner so doing = learning. 

Yeah, you're going to have a really hard time putting a custom loop together for $50. This is probably the cheapest kit you're going to find: http://www.jab-tech.com/XSPC-RayStorm-750-RS240-WaterCooling-Kit-pr-5030.html

or u could go with something easy h100i its 100$ and Tek did a vid tht went up to 5.0 Ghz with the 8350.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4et7kDGSRfc

Haha wow, thats great. You've been brainwashed by your own idiocracy. Please stop talking until you've educated yourself. Vortex came with great multiple arguments and you're reacting like this?

That might be true, and its a great cooler, but Vortex posted a few air coolers above which give you more value for your money.

Waterloops are really awesome to make and it just is really rewarding and aesthatically(?) pleasing. Its so much fun, but you can get around the same cooling performance for less money.