How are Tech "giveaways" legal?

So useless you felt the need to reply again :lollipop:

Ah well guys if we go this kind of childish route.
Then i don’t think that this topic is really going anywhere.

And there for i’m going to lock it.

I was reading through this when it got locked.
I have decided to comment as a way to clear up some details that were brought up.

In the USA if you are a winner of a giveaway in the manner in which the Paul’s Hardware PC Giveaway falls. You are required to hand over your SSN for tax purposes if the prize in question is over a certain dollar amount.

You wouldn’t be giving this information over to Paul’s Hardware, you would be handing it over to the company who is providing and sponsoring the giveaway.

This has been this way as far back as I can remember, which is back into the days where mailing in a 3x5 card with relevant information printed on one side to a specified P.O. Box was all you had to do to enter the drawing.

This is correct, however what this giveaway is doing is not “Botting”
It doesn’t mean that some overly enthusiastic entrant won’t use a bot to meet the requirements of the giveaway.

Botting is when a Channel owner, uses a “Bot” or a “Bot Service” that generates thousands of fake accounts that then follow/subscribe to their channel.

If I was doing a giveaway and you decided to use a bot to enter the contest 100 times, I am not guilty of “Botting”

If I write, or pay a service to generate thousands of fake accounts to boost my follow/sub count, THAT is botting.

That is all.

10 Likes

Continue the discussion, but keep it civil!

Thanks.

3 Likes

I do giveaways all the time my requirement is that the person uses the equipment for at least one year as they are made for children or handicapped.

I have lots of people around here who would scarf them up to haul in for scrap.
but thats a waste of my time and efforts.

subscribing, limited contact info, theres nothing illegal about it as long as you are not misrepresenting your intentions or blatantly committing acts of fraud