Hot beer

Now that winter is coming, it's starting to get chilly here in the north. I've wanted for a while to drink hot beer (hot like coffee or hot chocolate) even though I've never heard anyone speak of this in the IRL. Through some quick googleing I came across something called Mulled beer which also contains egg, honey and cinnamon ++.

I would like to hear some recommendations from people that have experience with hot beer, mulled beer or both, what types of beer would be best for this process and/or any other tips for this.

Sounds nice, apart from the egg bit.

It's only the yolk

Drank hot Keith's once on a bet. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but I prefer it cold and didn't feel like trying any other beers warm. I could imagine a fruity beer would be good hot though... Now you got me thinking...

Here is my first go:

Took a Guinness and heated it up with cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisked an egg yolk with a few tea spoons of sugar and finally I put in some honey.

It was...interesting. Very strange aftertaste. I'm going to try it again sometime and try different beers. I know a really thick and really strong, in taste, stout that I want to try warm, but it’s $15 so... Also curious how a Belgian beer like Leffe would be.

Very interesting good Sir.

It took a few minutes to find the beer in that picture.

Wow - hold on now. I live in the north, I brew my own beer, I like warm mulled wines and grog an a cold winter night. How have I never heard of this?

I need to do research, theoretically, the egg yolk would act as an emulsifier giving a body like a hollandaise sauce? , as opposed to the white being a frothing agent in say a whiskey sour (don't waste the leftovers the next morning). A dark beer could possibly be good warmed, but not concentrated which makes me think a pale would concentrate better as long as it is not overhopped...

You sir have complicated my life. You need to perfect this recipe and give it to the world.

Being a beer loving Chef, I have never tried that. Wait till I have an evening below 50, and I shall change that statement.

I drank this heated in a Belgian beer once, was amazing! http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauwel_Kwak

I would say Guinness is too hoppy to work as a mulled beer. Inspired by the idea I just whipped up this using a homebrewed wheat beer:

Result = Excellent, slightly sour, slightly sweet and a comforting spiciness. I would say its better hot than cold, great thread!

Recipe:

This is basically my masala caj recipe just using beer instead of tea.

• 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp Ginger
  • 2 cloves
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 litre Wheat beer (a lambic would work as well)
  • A little black pepper

Dump everything into a saucepan, heat until warm, stirring every so often and serve. Don't boil or the precious alcohol will leave the building!

Enjoy

Can of Guinness + 6 cups coffee + scoop brown sugar + cinnamon + honey = Epic level happiness. Thank you ChunkOfNorris for your brilliant idea.

I tried another one with christmas beer, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 2 tsp brown sugar. It was really good.

This looks amazing