Hook to cook the most basic meals

Moved out and have no clue how to cook almost anything, and googling things to cook brings up shit like this: http://allrecipes.com/recipes/1947/everyday-cooking/quick-and-easy/

and it's like cmon fuck off I can barely make a grilled cheese, SO if anyone knows a site which has litterally the most basic meals and how to cook them it would be much appreciated

Things like pasta/curry sauce usually have recipes written on the jar, they will give you an idea of what works well with the sauce.

Cook rice/pasta. until its not crunchy when you eat it.

Slice/dice up an onion, cook it in a little bit of oil until it goes soft. Add random vegetables, it really doesn't matter what. Cook that for a few minutes, add the jar of sauce, fill the jar up with water & tip that in, let the whole thing simmer on a low heat until the vegetables are soft enough to eat & your done.

Pretty much how I learned to cook. Its cheap, quick, easy & you don't have much stuff to clean up afterwards.

Alright friend, this is one I can help with. Here's some simple shit you can make because I believe in you.

Mac and cheese

• 2tbsp butter
  • 2tbsp flour, maybe more (you'll get the consistency right after a few times)
  • 2.5 cups milk
  • 1 cup grated cheese (almost any cheese will work, better cheese will yield better results)
  • salt, pepper, spices to taste
  • Dried macaroni pasta

Grab a larger pot and boil some water, throw in salt. The old italian trick I've been told is that the water should taste sorta like seawater. I've never been near the ocean, so I can only really imagine, but I'm assuming that's just me.

Grab a smaller pot and a whisk, melt your butter in this pot over medium-low heat (4-5 on most stovetops). Once all of your butter is liquid slowly add your flour while stirring with the whisk. Stir while it's heating for a few minutes, it should start forming sorta a ball shape, this is normal. Once it begins to turn slightly golden, pour in your milk in small additions while stirring more quickly; wait about a minute between additions. Once you've added in enough milk to get to a thinner consistency, add in your cheese while stirring. You're done when all of your cheese is melted and your sauce is of desired consistency.

Drain your pasta, add your sauce, stir, serve.

Protips:
If you find your mixture is too thick after adding cheese, add more milk.
If your sauce tastes farinaceous ‎(like flour), you didn't cook your roux (the butter-flour-milk part) long enough before adding your milk

Croque-madame

• .5tbsp butter
  • .5tbsp flour, maybe more (again the consistency comes with practice)
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • Two pieces of white bread
  • a slice of ham
  • some grated cheese

Alright, so this thing is basically like a glorified grilled-cheese-sandwich with ham, but honestly this is my go-to hangover food. You can whip them up in like 15 minutes and they're good for your soul. You may recognize the first process from the last recipe. It's the same process, you just don't add cheese TO it, you add it ON it.

Set your Oven to "Broil", this will turn on ONLY THE TOP element.

Follow the process in the last recipe for making a roux. Melt your butter, add your flour while stirring, add your milk in additions, etc. Do not add cheese to your roux, you want just a plain white sauce.

Heat yourself a skillet (big boy word for a frying pan) to medium-heat and drop in some butter. Throw down one slice of bread, and then a handful of cheese, then a piece of ham, then some more cheese, lastly another piece of bread. Congratulations, you've made a grilled cheese with ham, give yourself a pat on the back. Anyways, you're going to want to flip when it's brown on the bottom, so lift it up every minute or so to check it's doneness. Once it's brown, flip it and cook the otherside to match.

pour some of your roux over the top of the sandwich until it just starts to go over the sides, then toss some cheese ontop and throw it into your preheated oven.keep a good eye on it, because it'll take about 30-90 seconds to be done and about .3 seconds to go from done to burned.

Do not eat it immediately. I know it looks delicious and you want it in your facehole, but it will burn the ever-living-fuck out of your mouth and you don't want that.

2 Likes

when i left home my mother made me a cook book with easy recipes, still got it somewhere will take photos hahaha

Cooking is just following a instruction. Basic foods aren't that hard you just gotta focus, you can do it :)

http://myfridgefood.com/

Here's a tasty basic one.

Wrap chicken breast in bacon and put some butter on top. Cook in oven for 45min at 190C.

For extra, slice a hole in the chicken and add some stuff, peppers, spring onion, whatever you like.
Add cheese between the bacon and chicken.
Cook with peppers or veg to the side of the chicken and get some nice roast veg.

Anyone can cook. Unless you cant read?

Steak. Take meat, apply heat if you want it hot.

1 Like

+1

Steps to cooking a great meal:
1. Select a dish that you'd really love to eat
2. Find a recipe online for said dish
3. Purchase ingredients
4. Follow the recipe
5. Come back, where in the recipe does it say "sit 20mins on the computer while food is ruining itself on the background"
6. Follow the recipe
7. No, you're not able to guesstimate anything with success, just follow the recipe
8. Stop being lazy, follow the recipe
9. Serve the meal

1 Like

Edit: I probably am not the best at writing up recipes and probably not the best at making this so have a look at this too: Recipes

This is for a meal I really like, it's basically eggs with some vegetables which I don't think you can go wrong with. So here it goes.

If you do not want any stress while making it and have some time, cut everything before putting anything into the pan.

So what you need:
A couple of eggs, 2-3 usually fill me, that may be different for you. Give them a good whisk.
Paprika/peppers or whatever you call them. I usually like at least one red one, the more the better really though. Preferably like 1 red pepper per 2 eggs more or less. Then some small green ones if you have them. I prefer long pointy ones, bell peppers work fine too.
I like adding a tomato or two, say 1 per 2 eggs. Though some people do not like them so that is up to you.
An onion and/or some garlic if you like it.
Some oil, pepper and salt.

You cut the onion and garlic into small cubes. Cut the tomato to cubes or thin slices, either works. Cut the peppers into slices, cubes work too I suppose. You can also crack open your eggs and put them into a bowl already, that way you are not going to be in a hurry later on.

You take a pan, add some oil (olive oil tastes best in my opinion but any old oil will work) and heat it. I always like adding some paprika (that's the powder) and some herbs as well as some pepper into the oil here. If you add onions, get the pan hot and then turn it down to medium heat, add the onions and let them just fry there for 5 minutes or so. They need some time to get soft. If you add garlic, add that towards the end of the onion frying time, if no onions, fry them just for a moment. You do not want them raw but you do not want them burned either. When the garlic has been in the pan for 30 seconds or so, turn the heat up all the way and throw in your peppers and tomatoes (if you use them). They should take about 3-5 minutes to get soft, just try some of it once in a while. When you are happy with your vegetables, throw in your eggs. If you have a pan that does not stick very much it is best not to stir too much after mixing up the raw eggs with the vegetables. If you do not, it is probably best if you do stir, otherwise you are going to be sad when you have to clean up the pan. This is a good moment to clean up the mess you made in the kitchen as you are going to have to wait anyway. Same goes for the time after you put the vegetables into the pan I suppose. When the eggs are done, turn off the heat and take the pan off the stove.

I usually eat this with bread and a good amount of butter, throw some sheep or goat cheese (think the white cheese in salt water like feta) on top of there if you have any.

This is my favorite for when I have a lot of time for breakfast or when I want a nice lunch. If you are having this for dinner, I usually leave out the eggs, add some more tomatoes or tomato paste, and mix it with some noodles. Enjoy!

Learn all the related jargon and techniques. That is, learn what saute actually means, and how it is different from braising or sweating something.

After that, master the mirepoix and the roux.

The culinary world will be your oyster, afterwards.

2 Likes

I would buy Mark Bittmans "How to cook everything" Unlike Linux bibles it will remain useful 20 years from now.
Alton Brown's Good Eats TV show is annoying at times but the guy explains allot and you get to know not only how but why.
You can save a ton of cash when you know how to get 4 meals out of a 5 dollar chicken. Then their is smoking:)

Check out two sites: foodwishes.com and budgetbytes.com. Both are encyclopedic collections of recipes, but contain plenty of easy ones and show you how to make each step by step.

Food Wishes is run by a former culinary school instructor, and this guy knows how to teach. Here are a few easy-as-pie gems, with YouTube links to the video recipes. They all take less than 15 minutes and require minimal equipment and skill. Serve any of these with a bagged salad and you’re set.

Summer Scrambled Eggs (video)

3 large eggs
Pinch of hot pepper flakes
1 tbsp chopped basil
2 tbsp crumbled feta or other cheese
2 handfuls cherry tomatoes, halved
1.5 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
2 slices of toast, for serving

1. Prepare all of the ingredients. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, and stir in the pepper flakes, basil, feta, and tomatoes. Begin toasting the bread.
  2. Heat the olive oil over high heat in a medium skillet. After a minute, add the egg mixture, wait for exactly five seconds, and then begin “scrambling” the eggs with a spatula, moving the pan fairly vigorously and lifting and folding the coagulating eggs together. After 15 or 20 seconds, or when the eggs have hardened to your desired texture, remove immediately to a plate and top with sea salt. Serve with toast.

Garlic Ginger Salmon (video)

SAUCE
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 cloves crushed garlic
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
Hot chili sauce to taste (I used 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 cup water

SALMON
2 center-cut salmon fillets
Salt to taste
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp chopped basil

1. Mix together sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
  2. Salt salmon fillets on both sides. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. A minute later, add the fillets, rounded-side down.
  3. When heat is just about half-way up the side of the salmon, flip (maybe 3-4 mins., depending on thickness). Add sauce to pan and let it reduce.
  4. When fish is cooked through (another 3 mins. or so if thick), spoon over sauce and serve.

Pasta Fazool (video)

3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp tomato paste
3 anchovy fillets
2 quarts chicken broth
2 cups dry cheese tortellini or other pasta
2 (15-oz) cans white or other beans, drained
4 cups packed baby spinach or other green, roughly chopped
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes
Parmesan cheese

1. Heat a large soup pot over medium-low heat, and add the olive oil, tomato paste, and anchovy fillets. Stir and fry, breaking up the anchovy fillets, for 2 minutes. Add the broth and raise the heat to high.
  2. When the broth comes to a boil, add the pasta. Add the beans a few minutes later. Wash and chop the spinach.
  3. When the pasta is cooked (check the package for cooking time), season the broth with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. Add the spinach. When the spinach has fully wilted after a minute or so, turn off the heat.
  4. Serve garnished with extra pepper flakes and grated Parmesan.

potatoes,oven roasted:
1. wash potatoes, scrub under running water
2. dice into a consistent desired shape
3. in a bowl add potatoes a tablespoon or two of olive oil (enough to lightly coat)
4. add salt pepper and some italian seasoning mix together
5. preheat oven to 450
6. spread on sheet and bake for about 45 minute or until golden brown

Pizza Dough

Ingredients:
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C) (hot Tap water works for me)
2 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons olive oil (I do 4TB)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons white sugar (I do 1)

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm/hot tap water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, olive oil, salt, white sugar and the yeast mixture; stir well to combine. Beat well until a stiff dough has formed.
3. Cover and rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface. Form dough into a round and roll out into a pizza crust shape. (Place on parchment paper.)
5. Bake in oven for 6min then remove.
6. Cover with your favourite sauce and toppings and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes
7. (optional) place on top rack and broil for 3-4m until golden brown on top.

Meal Management:

• Print all recipes to paper (don't read off a display) and mark down changes you will most likely make.
  • Compile recipes into one binder and put a master list on the front for easy review and meal selection, the binder will become a mess.
  • MAKE A MEAL PLAN (3-days), or you will waste your life running to the grocery store everyday.

I like and make @cartaugrapher's Mac and Cheese all the time, my mods are; dash of Worcestershire, dash of Frank’s red-hot, 1tsp of dry mustard, and frozen peas. The peas are frozen ones I nuke in water in the microwave. Oh, and "F" the macaroni noodles, go with fusilli