Home WiFi visible but not connecting for no apparent reason, I need the ghostbusters or something

So you had your ISP modem/router replaced twice and the same thing occurs after an X amount of time. This leads me to believe there’s something beyond the hardware that’s making it go crazy. What am I thinking about is interference of some kind that’s breaking it or making the wifi chip inside the thing act weird. Can you move it to another outlet and see if it works? I know you won’t be able to connect to the internet but just check if there’s some kind of wireless connection between your devices and the modem/router.

I will try that the next time it goes bad. The problem there is that sometime turning it off and on again with make it work.

Like you say moving it will mean no internet at all but I can test it but won’t be able to wait for into fail, it if does. It can and has gone days with out a hitch and then one day it will just go.

I am thinking the same as you, there there is something external and not related to the hardware interfering with it, but I just don’t know how to go about testing that.

Unless you manage to test it to a different outlet you’ll need a stabilizer which involves, as far as I know, a big ass and expensive thing based on AC to DC motors that would give you the cleanest possible sine wave. But that’s not something worth doing. Maybe hook up a UPS disconnected from the plug and see if powering the modem from a different source makes a difference at all.

I will see what I can try with the regard next the problem occurs. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Other than driver corruption or malware of somekind ? Check every possible setting your router and pc have. Seems rather obvious stuff one would do already. I remember a time when power profiles would shut off my wifi before connecting.

1 Like

The thing is there are no PCs on the WiFi, they are wired. It is only mobile devices and TVs/chromecasts.

The one PC I have that I could try had the same problems. I can rule out devices connecting to it as the problem. This is definitely something to do with the router or interference between it and the devices.

1 Like

Perhaps the WiFi channel is cluttered, changing it might solve the problem. There’s an android app you can use to get a view of what’s in range, can’t remember a specific name for it.

1 Like

I have gone through all of them at this stage and no effect.

1 Like

Rip :frowning:

Feeling old… Man that was my goto :frowning:

2 Likes

Yeah. Sometimes i too face the same issue.