Home surveillance systems

oh I see.
ls there any setup I need to do for the swtich to work?
Will the switch provide enough power to the cameras? (802.3af)

I \have been very busy, so havent ordered anything yet.

Since I've never used one I really can't answer if there is a setup, being used (ebay) you won't know what the person before you has changed setting-wise, the Netgear switches I use "auto-sense" if they need to apply the PoE power to a device when it's plugged-in that may be a feature or standard operating for all PoE switches I really don't know.

Best advice is to find the specs on Cisco's site, you'll want to make sure it is re-set to the factory defaults before you use it so you have the default user and password to access it, sometimes used switches have been configured in ways that fit that persons/business network IP and DNS that will need to be reset also to work with your network, the price is cheap enough that it should be a good buy....

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

I asked the seller about that switch. Seller said it was not reset and not plug and play. I am just going to get a basic dlink PoE switch instead.

As for cameras, I heard that dome cameras have glare because if the curved plastic covering.
Any issues ?

Thanks

1 Like

Depends on where they point, case in point the front of my house faces West, a dome on the front porch area does at certain hours of the day (late afternoon) has some glare, but so do the bullets that face that direction, even the bullets that face East have glare when the sun comes up and is reflected off the lens, North and South facing cameras don't have that issue....but any stray light source can cause glare even headlights from cars....to me it's a non-issue since it doesn't happen all the time and if it does doesn't last long or trigger events.

That's fine, the Cisco would be great if it had a way to access it (you knew the user addy and password) or if it has a external reset button like home routers have...

1 Like

So I should not be worried about getting domes?

2 of the cameras will face south and the other 2 will face north. The dome cameras also look a bit nicer and more durable maybe just adjusting the lens angle is more difficult.

This is the switch I am getting:
TP-Link TL-SF1008P 10/100Mbps 8-Port PoE Switch, 4 POE ports, IEEE 802.3af, 53W https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Hd17xb4FR9DNZ

1 Like

Yup.... the domes as you say are harder to adjust but make for a cleaner install, spiders don't seem to like them which is a big plus, and the dome protects the lens....if they work for your application I would not let glare be a issue, but I might buy one first and install it, then make the decision if I wanted all of them to be domes....just a thought.

1 Like

Some of my neighbors also have domes (face same direction). I'm not sure where I can buying the cameras. Either at a local store IF they match the Amazon price or Amazon. So have to see.

1 Like

Btw, do you know if I can easily lift the soffit panel and run the ethernet up in eaves?

1 Like

You could ask the neighbors about glare and see what they say, but I doubt you'll find it much of a issue other than when the sun is directly pointing into the lens of the camera, it's why some bullet cameras have sun shades but they don't help that much.

Depends on how the soffit was installed, mine has a channel on both sides running parallel with the gutter, I can't get into above the soffit area without removing the gutters and that channel on the outside edge but I was able to stuff the cable between the channel next to the wall and the soffit so it's hidden mostly, to me it totally depends on how high off the ground it is on wither it's even worth the effort for security purposes....you'll still have to deal with the cable where it connects to the camera unless you mount some sort of electrical box to run the wires into and mount the camera on.

It's not worth the expense and effort to me, but you might feel differently, my main concern is that the wiring isn't accessible from the ground so a thief can't disconnect the camera, you also have to take into consideration if your renting the house that you'll want to be able to take your stuff when you move, if you own your house and plan on staying there it's different because you can make things more permanent.

1 Like

I will try to take a picture of the soffit.

I do not rent, so it will be permanent.

BTW,
which etherent should I get?
HAS GEL, NO RETURNs

NO GEL, HAS returns, higher eBay rating:

1 Like

For the couple buck difference just get the outdoor stuff, it'll be better in the long run, of course the shipping might make a difference...either will work just fine.

1 Like

Both are outdoor ethernet... just wondering which one to get

1 Like

Other than the price I don't see any differences in the two, do you see a difference? maybe I'm missing something...lol

1 Like

one accepts returns and the other does not
one has gel in the ethernet cable to prevent moisture
and one seller has more experience years on ebay

1 Like

UPDATE:
I bought the ethernet cable, PoE switch, crimper, ethernet connectors and tester!

Just need to buy the four cameras and cable fasteners!

Also the soffit seems hard to lift up, I might be just using cable fasters drilled into the soffit for holding the cable.

Local hardware stores should have cable fasteners?? How should I still these fasteners to stucco wall??

Cable fasteners: https://goo.gl/images/HOXmNh

^^
Anything to add on about how to fasten the ethernet cables using cable fasteners? like on the soffit and stucco wall?

thx

Soffit is rather easy if you use the screws I linked to in a post above somewhere...lol, the stucco walls might be another thing, you really should mount your conduit at least at a few different locations to the stucco, mounting method would depend on what sub-strait is under the stucco? if it's wood frame or so wood sheet goods screws with conduit clamps would work just fine, but if it's stucco on top of lets say concrete then you really should use masonry screws that are self tapping but you'll have to drill the appropriate size hole with a masonry drill bit for them to work.

You may also want to seal the top of your conduit (where the cable exits to the soffit) after your finished with some sort of RTV just to keep bugs out of the pipe...

1 Like

Im pretty sure under the stucco is wood since houses here are all wood frames. So you recommend usingg conduit for the stucco parts?
What type of conduit should I use? Raceway conduit??
thanks for the tips

I thought you had decided to run conduit from the point where you exit the inside of the house/basement up to the soffit?

You should have one point of exit with the cat5 through the wall, then up the wall to the soffit this can be run in schedule 40 PVC, if your going inside the soffit then the conduit will have to extend into the soffit area, if your just running the cat5 on the underside of the soffit you'll have to choose a convenient place to bring the cat5 out of the conduit and run it along the bottom of the soffit, the cat5 you were looking at is outdoor stuff but black in color it will really stand out against a white soffit, which is why I use the white cable, under the soffit it is protected from most of the elements, but it's your install, your choice......but keep in mind the diameter of the PVC has to accommodate the number of cat5 cables you will be pulling with a little room to spare.

1 Like

Yup, I am planning to use conduit for the part leaving my basement to the soffit and also one part that need to go to the front of my house.

I don't think I will use conduit for the soffit since the soffit is gray and the cable is black, I will still will try to insert in the eaves though.

1 Like