Home surveillance systems

How would it up then? I want to still use my gigabit switch. Do I connect the Ethernet cables to a Poe switch and then to my gigabit switch? Where plug in the nvr system?

Thx

Yeah you could either plug them in to a PoE switch and then to your main switch or you could put PoE injectors anywhere between the switch and the cameras. The nvr could connect to either switch but it would make more sense to connect it to the same one as the cameras.

1 Like

That sounds great with the PoE injectors. I'm not too worried about not having power outlets, since I do have outlets where the cameras would go. Could I just go with a single Ethernet and power for some cameras? (Lower cost)

Edit: what nvr do you recommend? (Single point connected to my switch)

My vote would be for a PoE switch, a nice Netgear 8 port is less than $100 USD and will power 4 cameras.

The thing to watch is the amount of PoE power available and the amount your total draw will be with the cameras you choose, a cheap switch will not have as high a total.

1 Like

So will my I still get gigabit speeds.

So this is what it will look like:

4 Ethernet cabletos from wall to Poe switch
4 Ethernet cables to my gigabit network switch

Can I have a regular gigabit switch at the outlet : one for my PC and one for the camera

Not with the cameras, the cameras are 100mbs (10/100) which leaves a pair in the cable (cat5) for the PoE power, but yes anything else connected will be gigabit as long as everything is gigabit (nic/switch)

To clarify anything plugged into that PoE switch that has gigabit ethernet capabilities will have full gigabit speeds
In this case my PC.

You'll have to spell that out in a little more detail.....

PoE ports can be used as regular gigabit ports on most high quality switches because it auto senses the device connected, and turns on the PoE power if it senses the device needs the power, this can be a problem though if for some reason it gets it wrong, that is why like the Netgear I listed above it has 4 non-PoE ports for other traffic and flexibility.

Yes

So I can have a single Ethernet cable go from my network switch (non PoE) to the PoE switch you linked. Then four (4) Ethernet cables run to the outlets for PoE.

At the outlets can I have a regular gigabit switch connected to the outlet so I can have ethernet for my PC and also PoE for my camera

I think I understand you mean to connect a switch to your existing switch.....if so yes you can hook two switches together but you will loose a port so you would have one which will connect the two switches together and that would leave 4 PoE ports for cameras and 3 gigabit ports for computers....

what are you calling a outlet? the ports on the switch or a actual wall outlet?

1 Like

The wall ethernet outlet.
Sorry for not being specific.

K...so I guess you mean can one wall outlet provide both PoE and gigabit? if that is the question not at the same time in theory depending on what is plugged into the wall outlet would dictate if it was a PoE device but in practically you want the cameras on a separate line to the switch, every device should be on it's own separate cable.

1 Like

Yes that's correct. I just want a single Ethernet cable from the PoE switch that can provide for the camera and my PC.
Thx

I don't think that is going to happen, if you have cameras the whole point is for them to run 24/7-365 to catch whatever activity your trying to capture, most of us that have built a security system have it running non-stop, some use a DVR other like myself use a dedicated Linux server to run the monitoring software and provide storage for captured video.

1 Like

No, the camera needs to be connected to a PoE port, you can't have a switch in the middle of that, what you can do instead is have a switch at the outlet and then a PoE injector between that switch and the camera.

You'd just have 1 cable connecting the two switches and a cable for each camera connected to the PoE ports.

3 Likes

I don't know if I should just stick the the more simple solution since I cannot rewire some places I need the camera. The cameras are going to be all situated indoors.

The solution which is to grab IP cameras and a NVR from Amcrest.
3 cameras hooked up via Ethernet @ my Ethernet outlets that are already plugged into my switch
1 camera using wifi, no wiring there
Nvr connected to my network switche
Cheap, pretty good support, easy to setup

Also, I have a freenas server, is there a way to Incorporate a security system in freenas?

I talked with their customer support and they said if I use Ethernet, the wifi signal is turned off.

I plan on using Ethernet and power from my outlet

1 Like

i have to ask man what was in the package? if i may that is, also that's really good quality even in motion

Camouflage pajama pants

having low res cameras is pointless