Home surveillance systems

Thanks. I will probably run Zoneminder in Ubuntu with only CLI so those commands would be handy!!
Zoneminder allows storing footage on network attached storage?

Ubuntu will be running virtually in proxmox.

1 Like

Yes....it does, I think as long as you "mount" the drive in Ubuntu it will be able to use it, but you will have to point the output to that storage so you'll need the "path"

http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/stable/userguide/options/options_paths.html
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Using_a_dedicated_Hard_Drive

Hopefully your not scared of the CLI, when you are working in a VM it's really no worries, and with Zoneminder just about anything you can think about doing someone has already blazed a trail for you. Also if your going to access a Linux box from Windows you should use a program like PuTTY or something similar, I know WinX has BASH built in but I'd avoid giving Windows X any more connections to your network than is absolutely necessary ....but that is just my paranoid opinion.

2 Likes

I might use that , I've used it with my freenas. But a cool feature of Proxmox is that it opens up a window in browser for full control/access of VM.

1 Like

Your going to force me to check out Proxmox when I get a chance...lol

1 Like

Lol , my friend let me play with his proxmox server once and I found it quite interesting. I could run Windows 10 in a VM and just access in browser with full control of mouse/keyboard.

1 Like

Sounds cool, in a few months I may give it a try, I'm wanting to build a new pass through box this year (prolly be towards the end of summer) based either on Ryzen or a dual Xeon box, then I'm going to reconfigure the box I'm using now for my wife to try, I'm spoiled with my system and can't even think about going back to a bare metal install of Windows, not real happy about running Win X but I think a lot of people are going to find themselves in the same situation if they plan on staying on Win 7 much longer....man I really hate saying that.

1 Like

Are you going to buy an older server from eBay and like convert it ? Sounds very interesting

1 Like

CPUs only, and a more modern server MB...unless...... anyway it's all dependent on Ryzen, performance and price point, just in the kicking around the can at the moment doing the planning, I need GPUs first so..... lol

1 Like

@Blanger I just realized that my Trendnet cameras have built in recording options in the web interface (cam's IP)
They work with motion detection and even has an option to save to my NAS.
Maybe this is another way before jumping to zoneminder.

1 Like

Yup....you just need a way to manage that content once it's on the NAS.

1 Like

Got Zoneminder installed on my proxmox box. I have connected 2/4 cameras to zoneminder. I just need to learn how to save the footage to my Freenas box. I probably should create a UNIX share in Freenas just for Zoneminder and then mount to my Ubuntu OS first.

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Using_a_dedicated_Hard_Drive

1 Like

My proxmox Ubuntu VM is actually already saved on my NAS, so the video footage would also be on the NAS.

Should I have Modect or Mocord if I want the software to record motion? What setting do you use?

thx

Is what I use...

uh oh, this was after a shutdown

good thing I had a clone

1 Like

Update:
I have been running Zoneminder for a week now.
I have still not been able to connect to one of my cameras.
There have been many events triggered by snowfall (appox 450 events per night).
Especially the camera that I have mounted on the wall, no soffit to cover camera above.

Otherwise, Zoneminder has been running pretty well and the interface is also pretty nice.

Any suggestions for how to alleviate the problems would be appreciated!

So I took a look at the web site and would like to give it a try, can you tell me anything about camera compatibility (ie what works, what doesn't?) the monitoring software runs on Linux (not in a browser) so no Windows solution?

Thanks....I'm looking at them now. I see it supports the streaming URL and was tested with a Hikvision so it should work with my Trendnet/Hikvision cameras, any way you can post pics of the dashboard?

I've been running Zoneminder for a couple years and while I don't have a issue with it monitoring in a browser (firefox) with 16 feeds has become a very unstable mess, I have plans to add more cameras eventually topping out at 20-22 depending and given the current state of Firefox it just isn't worth the effort, individual or muliti views of cameras works mostly fine but running the montage of all the feeds will cause Firefox to choke eventually 12-24 hrs normally but sometimes it will run for days, sometimes for hours before crashing.

And here I was thinking that ZM needed some work and I was going to start contributing to it.

I'm digging through your site and code now. From what I can see, it's pretty robust. I'm excited to try it out!

1 Like

What web framework are you using for the front-end? Most of them are more or less browser-agnostic, so you shouldn't run into any issues.

1 Like

Thank you, being able to just use Chrome or any other browser than Firefox will be a plus since most of my work is on Fedora, I only ask about Windows because I do have two Windows boxes that would need only access to the monitor aspect of the feeds, no direct access to the dashboard, if I understand correctly that can be accomplished on any platform that can run a browser instance?

1 Like