Home server setup help needed

Hi guys
I am jumping into my first true server setup. I will most likely buying a ibm x3650m1 but I am unsure of what I should do for WiFi. The system will be used as a storage server and plex streamer and 3 of the computers are WiFi and 3 can run cat6. My question is would the best setup be buying a gigabit router and running a access point if that?

I am unsure of how access points work but the WiFi devices need to be on the same network as the router for plex to work.

Cheers

You might be best to buy a gigabit router and use it as an access point (no DHCP). The cost difference is about the same and at least the router is built for supporting multiple devices and will probably be easier to set up with less points of failure (hardware support).

That's what my thoughts where. Now to find a decent router that has more than 4 gigabit ports.

Thanks for the help.

depending on the router you can sometimes turn the WAN port into another LAN port giving you 5 total, but that would be something buried in the settings somewhere. Getting one with more than 4 might not be easy though. Gigabit desk switches are cheap, probably around $15.

Most Routers with Wifi I know do not have more than 4 Ethernet ports. I'd opt for a combination of a simple switch and a wifi access point. If you do not let the AP do it's own DHCP all it's wireless clients will be in the same subnet as the fileserver.
Plus: You can wall mount or ceiling mount most APs for better range.

3 Likes

If you find the router you want and it doesn't have enough LAN ports, just add an unmanaged switch. Cheap and effective.

2 Likes

cheers for the help guys. Might try the AP route