Home Server on the Cheap with ECC support and minimal Power Usage

I made an account just for this thing. LOL

I ended buying a brand new 2014 Lenovo Think Server TS140. I bought it about 6 months ago from a guy who has an IT business and the client changed their mind last minute so it was sitting in his garage. It had 8GB of RAM so I bought 32GB ECC (Maxed out) and installed it.

I was able to take out the CD Drive from the back (so the front plates are still there) and I plugged in 5 2TB Drives. 3 storage and 2 redundant.

The processor is a Xeon e3-1225 v3, (essentially an i5).

The best part. (aside from the RAM upgrade). I paid $200. and it was brand new in box.

Look on Offerup; Letgo; Ebay; and craigslist.

Best deal in tech I think I ever got.

Also should note, I use Proxmox with ZFS.

~TheBearJew

I know you can buy used Servers really cheap, but unless its a special version of an intel ATOM, its very likely to way less efficient than a Zen2 or Coffee Lake based system. And Efficiency was the main Point of upgrading for me. As i currently have a used Xeon with a serverboard, which cost me together with ram less than 100€. I dont know exactly what your Mainboard, CPU, Ram and cooling solution draw together, but based on my xeon experience i dont expect it to be very close to 20W in IDLE. So i dont really see the point in buying outdated again, when i can get a zen2 based system for round 200€ or a Coffee Lake based one (celeron 4900T with a c246 mainboard) for 250-300€. The question is just wether the ryzen works with ecc and headless or if somebody knows some real exotic alternative, like an ATOM or an ARM based chip with enough usable PCIE lanes, or some current gen intel or amd Servers for an affordable price.

But thx for that post anyway, i know that used Serverhardware is really good and dirt cheap for this job if Power Consumption isnt a problem.

In order to boot headless, you will need to install the base system first. Either install it on the drive and then transplant the system, or simply add an old GPU card and install. Once the base installation is done and an IP address has been assigned, you can remove the GPU card and ssh into the machine pretty much forever.

Thats for sure but not every desktop board will boot without any gpu. Thankfully there´s a lot of information towards that topic findable, and the board i plan to use (ASRock B450 Pro4) seems to work just fine, whilst the A320 version doesnt support it.

Latest update: I got a Ryzen 3 1300X for pretty cheap and i combined it with the said B450 Pro4. Unfortunately due to storage constraints on the Bios Chip i had to reflash a way older bios than it shipped with to unlock all the functionality (like full controll about undervolting and downclocking). And together with some Kingston Server Premier ECC ( i think the exact SKU is KSM24ES8/8ME) Modules ECC worked out of the box at least thats what dmidecode said. I undervolted it to the limit the board allowed, which shocked me a bit, i could set any voltage of the board to its absolute minimum and it would still boot and be stable… crazy! Downclocked the Processor to a minimum of 1.55gGHz (i dont really need much horsepower for an smb server), and the ram to 1866MHz. Now CPU runs on 0.8V (Vcore), and the Ram on 1.2V and together with my 4 8TB Disks (2 Toshiba Enterprise, 1 Seagate Skyhawk and 1 Seagate Barracuda that i had left and that causes nothing but trouble, so i´ll be replacing it soon more on that later) 2 120GB Patriot Bursts in Mirror as Boot drives (cheapest SSDs i could find, due to power saving) A Total of 4 Fans in the system (including cpu fan), my el cheapo 10Gig SFP+ Controller (A Mellanox 341A i got for 25€ on Ebay its even available for as low as 14$ if i remember correctly because it used to be a mezzanine Card but someone in china mods them in bulk, attaches a PCIe x8 Adapter and sells them for really cheap, great card so far working right out of the box with the Linux Kernel, didnt expect that since Nvidia bought mellanox but working fine) and my LSI 9210 or 9211 (i cant remember which one but it was at least one with the same chip), that i flashed to it mode, and the 2 SAS Backplanes the system draws like 60-65W ideally when idleing, but regularly spikes up to 70 and mid 80s. PSU is a Be Quiet TFX 300 Gold (best efficiency i could find at this low power budget for an affordable price.) I Think this is still the limiting factor as it should only run at like 80-86% Efficiency at this usage, from what i´ve seen in the Datasheet. If anybody knows a relatively affordable PSU with 90% or more efficiency in the 50-80W Range please let me know.
Also Running Headless works perfectly fine on this Board-CPU Combo, though i dont really know if my Bios was resetted when i booted the first time without any graphics card… The Ram Frequency perfectly matches my expectations, as well as the boot progress, but somehow the voltages i read out with zenmonitor seems to be a bit too high for my settings. round 1 V. I mean thats still really low but i think it measured the 800mV correctly when i still had my GPU inside… Also the Fan Profiles totally got messed up after i removed the GPU, But Power Draw seems to be exactly the expected amount (15-25W) lower… Strange.

The trouble i had with the Barracuda was very likely ( i havent tested yet didnt order a replacement yet) due to it being SMR… I know i know, i shouldnt´ve got one of them for a server in the first place, but when i bought it, that whole “WD SMR Scandal” had not yet happened so i didnt even know about CMR and SMR yet. And at that time every internal 8TB HDD available cost above 200€ where i live and i got an external 8TB Seagate drive for like 175 (i think), so i ordered this one and disassembled it to find a barracuda inside. Currently the 4 Drives are running in RAIDz1 ( i know, not optimal, 3 or 5 would´ve been better, but i wanted to use all of my 4 drives and didnt wanna go RAIDz2 because that would´ve been a bit more expensive than i´d have been comfortable with). And i´ve seen the LTT Videos warning combining SMR and CMR Platters in ZFS especially raidz and warning about horrible resilvering times which took like 4-5h on a full CMR build vs 9 DAYS on an SMR Drives. But i thought "well thats on Freenas 11.3-U2 , and thats of course TOTALLY different from ARCHZFS (at least i thought so and a Friend of mine who´s way more experienced in using ZFS and Arch in particular also told me so), and… i was not totally wrong. I still wasnt completely sure if it was a good idea when i started resilvering, because they used 4TB drives in the LTT video and i had 8TBs on hand aaaaand it took 3 Days… -__-

Peak “issuing speed” 40MB/s. And i thought “well at least read speeds should be allright when i´m finished” but they´re even more horrible. My Transfer Speed Graph when i transfer from the Server to Windows above SMB looks like a sine wave and the dips go down from like 200MB/s (which isnt particularly fast to begin with, i expected more like 300-500 from what i´ve seen 3 and 5 Drive RAIDz1s performing) to 20MB/s totally unusable…

I Think i´ll replace it with another Toshiba Enterprise, this time one with even Bigger Cache is currently the cheapest CMR Option (how lucky, cause its even 24/7 capable and have persistant cache in case of a power outtage). The 2 i got in the first place are these : MG05ACA800E. And now i´m leaning towards this one MG06ACA800E. The only difference i can see is the cache, which was 128MB on the “old” ones and is doubled on the “new” ones.

Just thought i´d bring this Thread to a nice Ending by telling you guys (THX again for all your Advice!!!) of my Experience so far except for the damn Barracuda i´m really happy how things ran down. Never expected that cpu to work with such low voltages, 60W seems almost perfect, when i add the Power consumption from the product sheets of the HDDs up, i come to something in between 35-45W. When i calculate the total power Draw back through the 86% Efficiency, that means that my whole Setup (except for HDDs) is only drawing like 10-15 W. Thats really good, almost raspberry niveau and i´m really happy with that.
I still have to check the ECC Ram for true functionality since i´ve heard that you sometimes can´t really trust dmidecode there since it´l just read the mainboard settings out that says if its “trying to enable ECC” and it might report ECC as working when its not, so the only way to really tell is to intentionally let the ram fail so you can check wether ecc´s going to intervene. But thats right on top of my to Do list.

Thanks again to all who helped me out (and to those still reading till here ;D) Have a nice Day!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.