Return to Level1Techs.com

Home server chassis?

Hi gang, need some help from the hive mind.

Thinking about upgrading the chassis for my home server to something more spacious inside.

The caveat is I also would like vertical GPU capability with 3 or 4 “slots” … as I would like to mount a pcie splitter to it, for additional add on cards. Oh, and throw in liquid cooling support too, for a 360mm AIO.

So looking for recommends on a chassis with these specs;

• EATX motherboard support
  • Vertical GPU support, 3-4 slots, no case-mod required
  • Room for 8x internal 3.5" drives or
  • 7x 5.25" external bays, without any sort of guide / rails that block installation of raid cages (this seems really hard)
  • Room for 360mm rad without losing drive bays

The motherboard is a Gigabyte x399, cpu cooled by a 360mm AIO. I’d like the eatx clearance mainly for all the sata cables coming off the thing.

Ideas?

These 2 are my recommendation. You can mount a 360 Rad in the midplane if you use just the 4 screw holes in the middle of the radiator. I’m unsure about tube length for AIOs, which could still be an issue

What do you mean 7x 5.25 external bays

I have one of those! I didn’t think there’d be enough room but I will measure more closely.

Nowhere to mount the riser card / pcie splitter without modifying the case that I can see. That’s not a major issue though, once I put the lid on, I won’t see whatever ugly solution I come up with :slight_smile:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Obsidian-Series™-750D-Airflow-Edition-Full-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011078-WW

I’m a fan of this one… Hearkens back to the old IBM P Series for us major nerds, lol. :slight_smile:

Referring to the old tower servers that used to be a solid front of 5.25" bays, they don’t seem to make many of these any more.

I think they stopped that completely 5 years ago what do you need 7 5.25 bays for?

RAID cages, four drives per three bays.

Does it nedd to be 5.25" bays to fit/re-use existing carriers / converters/ bays?

Or do you desire like 4 x 3.5" and 4x 2.5" or a set icydock 5x3.5" box?

the rosewill ones work fine. I used them on my freenas setup. you can get the ones like @2bitmarksman linked above with the cages.

as in a cage with integrated backplane?

1 Like

I have basic non-swap cages already, and also SuperMicro ones with the backplane, but without a fast high static pressure fan, they’re hard to cool.

I also have some old full tower chassis that would work, if I took a dremel tool to the bays to remove supports that interfere with the sides of the cages.

I have my Lian-Li PC-6077. I wouldn’t change it for the world. So much storage space in a mid-tower ATX case. I don’t I think it supports EATX. EATX wasn’t a formalized spec when it came out.

For a desktop I use a 500D with 3 Icy dock 3.5+2.5 cages in the 5.25 slots in the front, as they are trayless hot-stappable sata cages, and it is handy haveing the extra drives available.

My next case will probably be a tray based 16- or 24 bay rack style chassis.

I use a 24 bad Norco knock off as a nas, and it works well.
The only thing it lacks is front I/O, but I can work around that.

Also the knock off nas I have only has 3x 120mm fans in the center, but I would fit a baffle, and run 6 PWM fans in a trio of push+pull pairs

I would probably go 4U again for next desktop case, but a longer/deeper case, because short depths don;t allow me enough room to rouse all cables etc…