My first post was about building a new workstation(ECC). I’ve shelved that idea (x570 chipset fan/Thinkpad is fine) and would like to upgrade my server(i7 920,18GB non-ecc,centos6).
I’d like to build a storage server with zfs[no xp].
It would run proxmox[no xp] or centos
It would run a few vm’s:
- nextcloud[no xp]
- vpn wireguard[no xp]
- pi-hole[no xp]
- backup: phones, laptop,… (rsync or rdiff-backup)
- gui firefox-rut
- ? git
- os: 2x1TB Crucial MX500 1TB
- storage: 6x8TB WD red (raidz2)
- case: Supermicro 846E16-R1200B
- backplane: BPN-SAS2-846EL1 ([no xp] faster and less cables than SAS or TQ)
- psu: 2x PWS-1K21P-1R => PWS-920P-SQ ([no xp] replace original 2 psu’s with 1or2 quiet)
- power distributor: PDB-PT846-8824 (24pin) works with PWS-920P-SQ? [no xp]
- hba: LSI 9211-8i or LSI MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i, not sure I can flash the 9265-8i in IT mode.
- ups: Cyberpower Value2200EILCD (server, modem, router, switch)
- Mobo: Supermicro x9dr3/i-f
- RAM: 64GB DDR3 ECC (8x 8GB)
- CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2609 10M Cache, 2.40 GHz (or E5-2620 v2, E5-2630L v2,…)
- Mobo: Asrock Rack x470d4u
- RAM: 64GB DDR4 ECC (4x Kingston KSM26ED8/16ME)
- CPU: 1x AMD Ryzen R5 3600
- Cooler: stock
I’d place it in the utility room (heating, wire cabinet, washer, dryer). I want it as quiet as possible and performance/energy/heat balanced.
I live in Europe (Belgium)
There is someone locally that is selling a server.
- He has that 9265-8i
- PSU1 Supermicro PWS-1K21P-1R & PSU2 SUPERMICRO PWS-920-P-SQ
He asks €700 and includes some “unuseful” disks:
1 X SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 250GB 1 X SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD 128GB 18 X WD SAS 1TB 3 x Seagate 500gb 1 x WD ENTERPRISE 600GB
Or I could buy one in the US(ebay or theserverstore.com)
All advice is appreciated.