Ucav's homelab blog

Keep in mind with nfc/rfid, a lot of the systems out there can be cloned/spoofed, going the fido route will be significantly more secure.

1 Like

It has Dirac markings on the back

1 Like

Yeah just have to see if there’s a ethernet port. It’s in the manual. It can be useful for firmware updates and some monitoring. With a remote console capability similar to ipmi.

No iDrac. 8GB of memory.

You can see the bulge in the battery for the SAS controller

3 Likes

I think I am going to get a few used 2TB drives and some more RAM off of ebay. Depending on Blue Iris performance I might have to get an old Nvidia card to offload HW Encoding but I am pretty excited to get this thing going. Seems like a lot of the accessories are pretty cheap on ebay so I guess that is the nice thing about old hardware lol.

1 Like

Yeah I’d ditch the battery.

Should be able to boot her up. I will attempt to get some screen shots to help soon. Should have a way to get a hardware inventory… that might help us with what sas interface you have… should be a 410 or 700 something… you have a backplane for hotswap so thats nice. Just need the trays. Can find good deals on those.

I’ll reference back to my post.
[[Build Log] Home lab in a box (first time trying)-x470d4u Proxmox/ Tech Blog - #42 by HaaStyleCat]

Yes, its a interesting socket and set up. It is the last gen with ddr3 ram I believe. Processors are cheap side too. I have a few extra as well… I think a 4 and a 8 core but Id have to check. probably in the thread.

1 Like

IF you have any spare memory I will buy it off you. Would rather spend my money with you than random ebay people.

1 Like

That sadly I do not have lol… I fully populated mine 192 gb of 1333 ecc ram… lol

And I’m still justifying that lol.

1 Like

ZFS is the justification for all memory hoarding. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wish I could put more than 64GB in my NAS now that I’m messing with it again, but once I get the VM and the jails I have running now off it that’ll help free up some more space.

2 Likes

Look at this for rfid fun.

1 Like

Proxmox is very cool. I want to mess around with one

1 Like

So I plugged my T320 in after having it for several months now. One of the power supplies is dead and one of the hard drives seems like it might be on it’s way out. Need to get a VGA cable so I can actually see what is happening (realized that everything I own is HDMI or DP lol). I am considering something like this for the setup:

4x SSD’s (~120gb enterprise drives for cache and OS storage)

8x 3TB HDD’s

Proxmox running:
TruNAS
Home Assistant
Windows VM/Blue Iris
Gitlab
Plex?

Blue Iris will most likely be the most demanding of all the things listed here and there is a good chance I might run it bare metal on an old laptop instead of virtualizing it if the performance is bad.

1 Like

Nice, RAID z2 I assume on the 8 x 3tb drives via TruNAS?

So 18tb total with a two disk failure?

1 Like

You need a minimum of 4 drives for RAID-z2. So it’s most likely RAID-z(1) (i.e. RAID 5)

1 Like

I though he said 8 three TB drives for the spinners… not sure how he would utilize the sides best as a cache.

1 Like

unless its an installed security system!
individually recording a voice alone is not admissible in court without the consent of all people involved.
video and audio recording from a security is a totally different animal.
there is no legal reason to refuse an officers request for footage from a security system.
however they cannot delete the footage or corrupt the evidence.

my system covers the mini-mart across from my house and i gladly provide copies of any footage they request.
I am a well known supporter of our local and state officers and and they know me very well also.

3 Likes

Oh. He does have 8x 3TB, I read that horribly wrong. Yeah, either stripped mirrors or RAID-z2. But for RAID-z2 default settings, the best configurations to not get performance penalties is 4, 6 and 10 drives. You can change stuff though and he does have cache. Personally I’d split the 4 SSDs into 2 RAID mirrors, 1 for L2ARC and 1 for ZIL.

1 Like

Please tell me more.

1 Like

and some more discussions here ZFS RAID Config for old disks

2 Likes

It’s worth mentioning that striped mirrors will always be faster than RAIDZ.

They’re working on implementing a faster variant of RAIDZ, but I’m not sure if that’s been released yet.

3 Likes