Nx2l's Home Lab blog

As far as I could tell everything was fine. There was a backup in the last 24 hours so not a shit-your-pants situation, I just needed to get the box back up.

1 Like

And then?

Alright team, I got another situation. I have some docker containers up and running, we’ll use keycloak at port 8082. When go to http://<ip>:8020, everything is fine and dandy.

Whomst-ever, I tried to add an nginx reverse proxy and it’s acting like it can’t find the host? My config basically looks like:

location / {
    proxy_set_header Host $host;
    proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
    proxy_pass http://<ip>:8020;
}

I don’t remember the exact errors (I can get those tonight if it will help) but is there anything special about proxies in docker?

2 Likes

Wish I could help… but I’ve never messed with proxies in docker

1 Like

Im pretty interested in replacing my home lab setup an Epyc 7371 system… but other than a few articles…

I havent found anywhere that has it in stock.

1 Like

Hey guys, I thought you might like my Home(lab)-made Container Orchestration Platform that I made because (in part) of this blog. Lemme know what you think!

3 Likes

Considering selling my current storage setup (6 core i5 . 8th gen with 64GB memory) for this:

Of course reusing my SAS HBA, FC HBAs, PSU, and case.

Thoughts??

• yes
  • no
  • yes, but…
  • no, but…
  • other …

0 voters

2 Likes

What will this allow you to do that you can’t do now?

2 Likes

maybe…but not really. My next step probably should be more harddrives…

damn you… asking the questions that make me reflect on my idea.

… might could if I also sold my compute system and integrated everything into one machine. But I dont think I want to do that.

Yes, but give me the old hardware

3 Likes

no me plz @nx2l

2 Likes

no, he runs arch btw

2 Likes

are fedora and arch…archenemies?

1 Like
2 Likes

pfft Archlabs thank you. Pure Arch is for hipsters

I’ll install it all if I get free stuff, @Adubs will just put freenas on it :frowning:

as a meme, all of the distros are

1 Like

Im changing my answer… I think the cool points are worth it… and hopefully next gen Rome still works in current motherboards.

I’ll consider it a tie, and wait for more votes.

2 Likes

I’ll put xpenology on it because ecosystem

2 Likes

C O N V E R G E N C E

2 Likes

Ive thought about doing it… maybe reduce my power usage having 1 machine vs 2…

but I like have my storage server separate and using fibre channel with LIO.

Both machines avg around 70w for light use (each)

3 Likes

just remembered that I didnt include my centos router/iptables system into the power numbers…

combining all three into one system would lower my power bill, but I would lose the flexibility to reconfigure or takes things offline without affecting the entire network.

I guess if I moved away from FC HBAs… I could possibly open the door for low power proxmox nodes…maybe based on Core i3 or Ryzen 3/5

But I like having a dedicated SAN… if I wasnt limited by pcie slots on ITX… Id have more options.

Maybe i just should reconfigure everything for vlan tagging and I could get way with one FC HBA per compute node (and then they could also be low power machines)

… I just need to make up my mind and pick a direction

/rant

1 Like