Hive's NAS - 192TB - poor mans storinator

The discs run between 28°C/82°F and 37°C/98°F depending on their position in the case and the model. Since both models of disc are specified to run between 5°C/41°F and 60°C/140°F I don’t see any reason to be worried.

1 Like

I measured the power consumption. With the host operating system and the Truenas virtual machine both idle and the discs still spinning the system uses 142 watts!

2 Likes

even with a delta / base temp approaching 35-40C? Nice!

It’s gettin a little toasty over here again, but only 27C indoors, so hoping it does not get Real hot again :slight_smile: (for a while)

Looks really cool though. Am a lil jelly…

2 Likes

Dang! That’s pretty good.

The VRTX that I have running NAS duties idles at ~400watts for 192TB raw.

1 Like

Nice build!
I completely overlooked the U2 SSDs, the PM9A3 7.6TB is available for 470€, that’s less than half than 6 months ago.
Are you happy with it, I’ve heard they get really hot?
The Solidigm SSD D7-P5510 7.6TB is also available for less than 500€, I think it’s upgrade time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! The small one is a PM9A3, the two larger ones are PM983s. I got those from China for $329! I did not notice that any of them got particularly hot. The two at the sides with contact to the case idle at 34°C/93°F and the one in the back idles at 42°C/107°F. Even when the server is busy they are not going under full load and the airflow in the case is not optimal but not bad either.

Ok, I just saw that it is the M.2 version that gets so hot

1 Like

I am currently contemplating getting a new case with both hot-swap bays as well as a backplane!

2 Likes