High temps on stock 1900x

Looking in the bios I found the vcore to be 1.408v at as an auto amount. Would that bring the temps up that much?

Iā€™m assuming that HWINFO64 readout is at idle? If so 37 is an ok temp. You want to look at tdie. What is your load temp?

As far as I can tell, the voltage spikes are normal behavior for stock threadripper. This is the XFR function that will transiently overclock 4 cores to 4+ ghz. You should see the voltages and clock speeds settle down if you put the processor under sustained load (eg prime 95).

If you are over clicking, then xfr should turn off automatically.

Worth noting that Threadripper 1900X may have a 27C offset between tCTL and tDie
While the Ryzen range has a 20C offset and some have a 10C offset.

Also just noticed that the 1900X isnā€™t coded in yet for the k10temp driver for linux.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/groeck/linux-staging.git/tree/drivers/hwmon/k10temp.c?h=hwmon-next

1 Like

Seeing that you have an ASRock board with the Nuvoton NCT6779 Super IO chipset (responsible for GPIO and sensors).

I can tell you that the BIOS temp readout is bonkers. Iā€™d go as for to say itā€™s ā€˜brokenā€™.
For some reason the ASRock BIOS CPU temperature readout is coded to approximate the CPU tCTL temperature by use of a resistive thermocouple mounted underneath the CPU socket. This is madness when they could be using the sensors readout from the CPU. It was changed later and became an option on later BIOS releases, but you still have to change a setting in the fan section of all places.

If you subtract 27C from that Temp of 67.5 + allow for a wide margin of variation that temperature is approximately correct.
The ASRock BIOS also has a nasty habit of setting a fixed default voltage at boot thatā€™s quite excessive. Tweak this voltage as low as your particular CPU will go.

The reason for the high voltage is to ensure that the 1% of potato CPUā€™s that might be out there are also guaranteed to work.

Usually when you boot out of BIOS though the VRM and CPU change mode to run at reduced voltage.

1 Like