HIgh Quality Thunderbolt 4 Dock

Does anyone know of a high quality thunderbolt 4 dock that they would be willing to recommend? I would ideally want to get a dock that can use the fully available bandwidth of Thunderbolt 3/4 that can output to 2 monitors while having it work well with Mac (as well as Linux/Windows).

The reason I am asking is that after looking at a lot of reviews for various products myself people were complaining about problems, either with coil whine or random disconnects or other related issues.

1 Like

Idk which one but @oO.o got one he really likes. I have had decent luck with Dell WD19TB. @SgtAwesomesauce has had mixed exp with them as well.

Which computer are you using the dock on and whats the peripherals you are planning on connecting?

Thunderbolt is a bunch of problems almost always,

2 Likes

Mine is a TB3, but Lenovo has been the only brand that has been reliable for me at all. Both @SgtAwesomesauce and I had issues with the Dell. Everything else I’ve tried has been unreliable.

1 Like

Well, the question here is one of requirements. Thunderbolt 4 has requirements which pretty much restrict it to only using thunderbolt/type c for display out. (Which is big dumb) but thunderbolt 4 is just a more strict specification of the same vague spec for thunderbolt 3.

What displays are you driving and are you okay with displayport out?

I use this belkin dock, but I only have a single monitor. This won’t likely work for you, unless you get a display port to type c adapter…

@Dynamic_Gravity recommended it for me from his success with it on a Mac, and I use it to good success on Linux and Windows machines alike.

Either way, this is the link: Thunderbolt™ 3 Dock Pro for Mac & PC | Belkin

Display port docks are all basically crap, but some are less crap than others. That’s been my experience, and I’ve purchased 5 of them in my attempt to find one that isn’t broken shit.

3 Likes

The only complaint I have is that if you use all 130w the fan will spin as it warms up. But I have mine mounted under a desk powering a high power mobile workstation.

Dell Precision 7550 w/ i9, 64gb, and RTX 5000 Max Q

Thanks, the Belkin one looks great although I am curious why it only has 85W of power delivery when currently USB-C supports up to 100W?

1 Like

I’m not sure. It charges my Thinkpad P1 and XPS 15 just fine, so I never worried about it.

Probably has something to do with 100w being a relatively new (in practical use) protocol, and the macbooks only taking 87w max. Belkin partners with Apple quite closely.

Okay thanks so I think its pretty much a non concern in real life

1 Like

Most laptops will charge off 20v regardless. Some laptops require at least 60w of 20v power, but this dock can handle that.

1 Like

So already ordered, thanks for the advice!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.