High quality storage?

Hi,
I always had normal HDD's but now I need good Storage to save my work properly .
Problem is I don't even know how such pro HDD's are called. I have no idea.

So the Storage should work in a normal self built Computer (Asus consumerboard, Xeon, ... . And it should be understood by Windows and Linux (Mint 18.1) , because I dual boot.
It should be around 2-4 TB and between 100-200$ if possible.
Very important to me is that it has a long lifespan and doesn't make errors if possible.

I'm a total noob on this so every information on this topic is much appreciated.

Mirrored hard drives and a backup drive. Triple redundancy.

8 Likes

I second the HGST notion. I have 2 4TB HGST in my NAS.

2 Likes

I run them in my servers.
Actually, I should probably cycle them out.

2 Likes

SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) drives and controllers are used as a more professional storage without going into more sophisticated hardware. I think it is beyond your budget for capacity requirements - but it also does not sound that you necessary need to go this way.

Very important to me is that it has a long lifespan and doesn't make errors if possible.

I see that others already answer you with good brand names for normal (SATA )HDDs.
However I would like to point one thing about errors - if that aspect is really important for you then remember that content written into the HDD is at most as good as it was in memory - thus in cases where that really matters ECC memory is recommended. But since you listed already Xeon processor then I assume you also have ECC memory?

1 Like
3 Likes

Thx a lot guys,
this helped me to get started and to look in the right direction.

Yes ECC memory is on board.

I learned a lot from your explanations, thank you.

You should look into Seagates Constellation/Enterprise NAS/Archival drives, WD's RED Pro's and Gold/Data Center Drives, and Hitachi Ultrastar 7000 drives. They all have their benefits and down sides. If you are worried about reliability, look at the warranty of the drive; that is usually a good indication as to how reliable the drive actually is.

1 Like

LOL. No.
Warranty is in no way a relative reliability indicator.

Latest Backblaze report is out.

2 Likes

So you think that a drive with a 3 year warranty will have approximately the same reliability as a drive with a 5/10 year warranty?

1 Like

Why would a manufacturer give you 10 year warranty when the product would have to be replaced 10 times within that time frame?

1 Like

When I see 10 year warranty on home computer equipment I always imagine a person doing risk assessment with one major truth in mind: after 4 years of product use in case of failure only 5% (i'm guessing the value) of customers would ever go back to producer with 4+ year old HDD. Of those that will, only 5% would ever repeat it - because they will receive a refurbish unit (and those are - I think need to be - distinguishable) and most probably will live even shorter.

Other than that the funny fact is that as far as I know warranty do not cover natural ware caused by usage (although that might different by company or region).

Also SATA HDD normal usage is max 8h daily - so producer always can refuse to replace the unit if they see more extensive usage.

So to answer you question, for customer products, I never take seriously warranty longer than 3 years.

what?

geting warmer

Things in business aren't always what they seem. Dominos isn't in the pizza business, they are in the delivery business. McDonalds isn't in the hamburger business, they are in the real estate and licensing business.

Often times a warranty is just a marketing gimick, used to capture market share, sales, or a advertising advantage. Lots of reasons. Producing a product for your consumption might be their 6th or 9th most important business goal.

Except when there is a law that grants 2 year guarantee.

Wut?

Keep in mind that most filesystems do nothing to ensure the integrity of your data. Disks and controllers regularly corrupt data silently. For serious storage, a storage appliance that keeps parity information and verifies checksums is the way to go.

And on top of that, you should always have backups of your critical data: 3 copies on 2 types of media, 1 stored offsite.
https://www.us-cert.gov/sites/default/files/publications/data_backup_options.pdf

1 Like

These aren't half bad themselves. Bought around 2 or 3 of them

You’re playing with fire with those Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives. I would make sure anything you want to keep is backed up somewhere else.

1 Like