High Performance Processing Rig

Hello All,

I have a budget of about £1000 and I'd like to build myself a rig that has maximum processing power for that price. I'm going to use the PC for capturing multiple devices at once (hopefully a least 5) and it's been a while since I last built a PC.

Could you guys advise me on what to go for. The pc would ideally have alot of PCI-E ports. I've been looking at dual processor builds but is this too expensive for my budget.

Edit: also it would be awesome in the future when I've got the money to jam in a decent graphics card.

Thankyou!

look for a xeon e5-2670 matching pair for about 200$ USD on ebay and get the rest that you need. mobo is preference. and will you be recording or streaming with this rig? if both then go for either a black magic intensity pro "4k optional". i'm also using a RM 850w gold rated psu and so far it's solid and silent as can be. either way your budget has options now for older socket 2011 builds now

No but I will also be rendering alot of files. The output resolution of the devices I am recording are low but I need to do alot at once which is why it's going to need alot of PCI-E slots so that multiple capture cards can be integrated.

I live in the UK, but man these things are really cheap, so what will I get more power out of two of these bad boys than if I used one i7 6700K?

1 Like

for rendering yes. xeon builds are known to be monsters to render video.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/jjLQ3C
here's a base link for your region, but you choose the mobo for features and your capture cards. there's room in the budget to have 2 capture card/ usb's "i pref internal cards" and a windows key

1 Like

Cool website, man I'm getting excited for this, hows this build looking?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/XmRWYJ

Predicted cost of about £1015, that should be an absolute beast right?

one single e5 has dubble the cores and threads as to the i7. dubble that and you will have one solid rendering monster for a few years to come. streaming one devise to any streaming site and you'll be happy with how far you can crank the encoding settings in obs. you should love the system once you get it set up right. and right now starting with the cpu's and mobo first and get the rest will help you save some money down the road. also note you need a full atx case due to the mobo's duo sockets as it counts as an E-atx

Awesome, and how will the processing be for gaming, as I probably will buy a gfx card at some point.

gaming wise there's not much of a difference unless the cpu in question is OC'd to unholy high speeds, but in general it does fine and can hold it's own. it's just a cheep monster for rendering rigs for streaming now... and i wish i had the money to do so with my own build lol

Alright nice one spartankill youve been a great help!

any time for a fellow tek fan! and if possible post a build log update on a new thread so everyone can see :p

1 Like

Does it matter which version of the xeon e5-2670s I get, there appears to be different versions off ebay.

Issues with C1 vs V2

So i clicked on your build and it shows an incompatibility between the case and motherboard. Simple fix: switch out the 750D for an Enthoo pro or an Enthoo luxe and you're all set (also saving some money). There are ways of obtaining a windows key for cheap (though Tek Syndicate does not endorse/encourage this or whatever, I'm sure there's members here who would be happy to help with this on the down low, again not encouraging/endorsing just a thought you might want to keep in mind), like $30/$40. Unless of course you run linux.

I believe the only issue with the case is the USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case, which I'm not that phased about. The case looks awesome so I think I'll go for that.

@KenPC could you elaborate abit, I'd like to start hunting for some cheap processors and I'm abit confused.

The issue with the 750D is that it doesn't support SSI EEB motherboards like the one you have selected (at least not officially). If you find that it actually does then you should be fine, but from what I've seen it's not supported.

I've had a look about and apparently it fits so ima go for it.

the C1 version (V1) has a broken VT-d extension. So it won't matter unless you planned on running VM's with PCI-e/GPU passthrough.

If you want VT-d, get V2

It fits physically since it's the same size as an E-ATX motherboard, but from what I've read SSI EEB uses different mounting holes so if you're not comfortable with drilling some new holes for the standoffs then it won't fit.