Hifi Club

Harmon/kardon had that option and a ‘Space-ulizer’ that widened the stereo separation to sound like a live stage. The only thing I turned on was the option to make bad mp3’s sound better.

The EQ settings were very strange also. It had no adjustable sliders or bands. There were 5 options that listed different h/k headphone model numbers. I picked the h/k model that was closest in configuration to my AKG headphones (small on-ear).

I tried to reduce the over boosted bass by drastically flatening the low end of the EQ. What I hate most is the midrange sounds muddy. Not clear.

HTC phones are known for having good audio. The DAC chips are fine, it sounded great before. I think that when it comes to rooting a phone, audio is an afterthought for the people that make the Android ROM’s. They don’t care about audio quality.

So your Harmon Kardon sound was really just DSP?

I had heard jetAudio was really good, but I don’t use my phone for music, so I couldn’t tell you from first-hand experience. There was also an outrage years ago about a change they made. I think it had to do with removal of BBE. Not sure if they ever relicensed it. BBE is a highly praised DSP.

If you want to prioritize audio quality in your next phone, the LG V30 comes with a very good DAC.

2 Likes

Ten-Thousand Thank You’s!
jetAudio is exactly what I needed.

I use my phone as the source for my car stereo.
Somehow it restored the crispness and clarity to my Android audio.
The bass is still a bit heavy, but that can be equalized.
The muddy sound from other Android music players couldn’t be fixed with an EQ.

1 Like

My current head-fi setup:

Schiit Jotunheim (DAC, pre-amp and headphone amp)
Chord Mojo (portable DAC/amp)
Philips X2s
Audio Technica MX40x
Shure 846 IEMs
Audeze sine i20s

Considering adding a pair of Audeze LCD cans in the future however… :slight_smile:

Speakers are the Munro Egg 150s - outstanding studio monitors.

My current setup:

• Custom designed and built pre-amplifier that splits a stereo input into 6 outputs using 24dB/octave Linkwitz–Riley crossovers, low mid and high frequencies x2.
  • Lows (<120Hz) are mixed to mono and sent to an active subwoofer
  • Mids (>120Hz - 1.2KHz) and Highs (>1.2KHz) are sent to a custom 4x 100W RMS amplifier.
  • Amplifier is feeding two custom bookshelf speakers directly. The drivers have no passive crossovers and are directly driven by the amplifiers (four wires per speaker). Crossovers are not needed as all frequency splitting is done in the pre-amplifier.

Net result, a sound system that blows your socks off :smiley:

1 Like

Current rookie setup:

SMSL M3 (hooked up via USB, not coax)
Edifier R1280T (powered stereo bookshelf speakers)
Sennheiser HD 598SR (my allrounder)
AKG K712 Pro (for certain genres of music only)

I’ve had this setup for a few years, I’m pretty happy with it although i feel like I can get more out of the front speakers.

Pioneer VSX-919AH AV Reciever
Cerwin-Vega XLS-12 Front speakers
Cerwin-Vega XLS-6C center speaker
Cerwin-Vega XLS-6 surround speakers
Cerwin-Vega XLS-12S subwoofer

The subwoofer amp died on me (a mouse brought a bunch of foil inside and shorted it out) so I’ve wired it to an old Kenwood KA-128 stereo amplifier which is doing a pretty good job.

Some pics, I need to tidy up

3 Likes

Just opened my Onkyo to check on the components, see if there was any bulged capacitors or anything out of order.
Good news is that nothing looks wrong (it sounded correct, but just to be 100% shure), but apparently it was owned by a smoker in its past, it had an awfull smell of cigar ash when i opened it up, still has actually…

My JVC headphone arrived a few hours ago, its already my new favorite headphone by a mile, its just what i was looking for.
One of the cups is scratched on the side for some reason, under the wrap as well, weird, but i don’t care much, its going to get scretched up anyways.

1 Like

How well does that amp work with that speaker setup ?
I had an Pioneer AX2AS-S quite a few years back and that one had issues delivering enough power to bring life to my Dali 850’s woofers, so i ended up swapping it for an NAD C 375BEE which really made my Dalis livelier.

Also, i remember looking at a very similar setup to yours before my taste in sound changed, your pictures really brings back some fun memories.

1 Like

In the end i never sold it, i kept it for gaming, hard to find something so light that sounds so nice at the same time.

I’ve changed it a bit since then but yeah, the pioneer did alright. I have a denon now but I’d like to get a separate power amp for them but that’s not going to happen anytime soon.

1 Like

It’s at seperate power amps this really gets expensive.

1 Like

I’m excited to play around with this mini amp! I did a bunch of research into it, and it supposed to be damn impressive for an amp so small.

Posted this in the lounge, but then realized I should have post it here. Lol

Edit: Sounds great so far, but I need better bookshelf speakers to take more advantage of it.
I’m going to hook it up to some my old school tower speakers just for kicks.

Edit 2: Man I do really love the way my system sounds. I feel it’s lacking in the mid range (which I might prefer), but the highs are extremely detailed and crisp, and the lows are very clean, but I do wish the sub could reach slightly lower Hz. I might be fixing that soon with 2 classic 10" subs (I need to build the boxes though).

Edit: 3: Can confirm this thing is damn impressive for it’s size. It powered my 200w 8 ohm tower speakers very nicely, but I couldn’t tell how quality it sounded at high volume since the cabinets are falling apart and the tweeters don’t work in them.

These things are very beat, but I couldn’t pass on them geven they’re older square speakers.

1 Like

All right. I want to try my hand at makeing 2 home subs with these square subwoofers I have.

Might end up painting the sub a different color, unless I figure out a way for that color to look decent.

I’ve done a bit of research, and I think I have a concept that might work well.

These subs are 10" corner to corner, and I plan on making a 13" wide, 13" deep, 23" tall box with a 3-4" square port that will be inside another 6-8" square port above the speaker. Hopefully this picture gives a good idea of what I have in mind.

I do plan on putting material on the inside to cut down on echoes (though I’ve recently learned you can do this without material even in plastic somehow).
I’m also not sure what material I want to use or should use for the box, but I would like to stain it.

This is kinda an experiment for me, and I’ve never built a proper box, but I’ve wanted to for a long time. Any tips or advice for me?

2 Likes

Top notch drawing.

1 Like

If you don’t look too close I guess it’s fine. lol

1 Like