Hey firefighters, Verizon here.. yeah, your throttled, pay up homies

Just wow… I hate government regulation as much as the next person HOWEVER again these corporations prove they don’t give a fuck who they kill, injure or maim as long as the bottom line is met.

3 Likes

Maybe it was an AI error?

I don’t see a human going thru with doing that.

Although, I didn’t read the article yet, so let’s see.

1 Like

fire

9 Likes

You probably need to read the article, there are emails from humans in it.

1 Like

To play devils advocate.

The fire department already knew of these limitations of their data plans before from a previous incident and did nothing about it.

The fire department failed to obtain a sufficient contract with their chosen ISP to provide them with sufficient access to acceptable data speeds for their emergency service operations.

The fire department thought they had unlimited “data” when what they wanted was an unrestricted specific bandwidth.

Their IT guy is shit.

Verizon are hardly a great company with many things, and could have done more to help, but ultimately the fire department were incompetent.

edit: just to emphasise the seriousness, if connectivity is critical to your operations you don’t fuck around with it. It sounds like they went for what ever was cheapest, and they paid the price.

13 Likes

To devils advocate your devils advocate what if a Verizon employee did in fact communicate to previous IT manager they would never be throttled? Hell, said person at Verizon could have special sauced a solution for that line that fell by the wayside at some point in Verizon’s endless changes to their “unlimited” plan.

Considering ALL Verizon plans throttle, there is nothing available for this situation. These are not unlimited plans and they should not be sold as such. .

1 Like

$38 a month sounds like a govt discount to me, for an “unlimited plan”

2 Likes

Not really, 4+ lines which is probable with an entity like this is 40 bucks/month right now per line.

4 lines of unlimited for 160/month? thats a steal

There’s a word for this? Making up a situation that may or may not have ever happened to counter something else? (i cant remember what its called).

To answer though, if an employee did mistakenly tell them they wouldn’t be throttled then that was a mistake they shouldn’t have made. Considering they were obviously on a plan that would throttle their connection after a certain amount of data was used.

I guarantee you there is. Verizon are large enough that they will provide guaranteed networks and circuits for critical infrastructure organisations and emergency services. But you have to actually buy those services from them, not a $38 sim card.

In fact im willing to bet Verizion are large enough that they have their own EMT/CMT for their own networks and probably for emergency services and for disasters.

1 Like

Yeah.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/featured/relief/

1 Like

Well, not really unlimited as this has shown. Unlimited is completely false. In fact looking at Verizon’s page now:

Funny how there is no mention of how much “unlimited” data you can use for the 40 dollar plan. So if an unlimited plan is throttled is it actually unlimited?

2 Likes

You have unlimited data, not bandwidth.

3 Likes

Looks like this didn’t happen, obviously their staff was more worried about increasing the plan then actually helping the situation.

Untitled

1 Like

When I lose the bandwidth, I lose how much data I can actually use so it does limit data.

1 Like

Right, I get that, so it’s not unlimited. The data i receive will be slower, I cannot use nearly as much data when it’s slower as I can when it’s normal speed. It is limited.

Yes but it is not a hard limit

Eden said it already that it is a bandwidth limit not data, they are not stopping you from using data

“BUT I GET LESS OF IT”!!!11, yeah?

They probably didn’t know, likely because the fire department were using the wrong plan, on the wrong contract, with the wrong department.

Keep in mind i’m not arguing that Verizon are a good company or bad company, i’m arguing that what the fire department had was obviously the wrong thing to have and they had plenty of warning to fix it. They literally already had the same problem previously and did nothing about it.

If the fire department deem their mobile data as a critical component to their operations then they should have a sufficient contract with Verizon to provide a level of service for critical networks.

This is different from what you can get online, this isnt a normal business line, or consumer line. You’re now in the realms of critical infrastructure.

And for that, you will not get a sim card for $38/m.

Your data isnt limited in your description, your bandwidth is.

1 Like

You keep saying you will not a get a SIM card for 38/month but here they are getting that. That is the plan they were on, right or wrong, that is the fact, they were on that plan.

And maybe the fire folks did fuck up, maybe they are complete dumbasses BUT Verizons response was certainly piss fucking poor. Maybe they should all be fired but Verizons own employees didn’t even know about the V-CRT, only give us more money. Crisis situation should be a situation where things happen quickly, obviously this did not happen.

And yes data is limited. If I have enough bandwidth to download 1GB of data per day for day 1 I can only download 1GB of data that day. And then I have enough bandwidth to download 512MB of data day 2 I can only download 512MB of data. That is limiting data through limiting bandwidth. You can either do a hard stop on data or you can reduce bandwidth. Both limit data usage, you will consume less with less bandwidth.

1 Like