Help with Xbox One X

I know this is the wrong forum to be asking for a solution, but not sure were to ask.
So i picked up a project of a Xbox One X, the way it acted it looked like a hard drive problem.
Tested the hard drive, its good. reloaded everything from scratch. it worked for a time, even put a brand new hard drive in same result.
I have narrowed the problem now down to it needs to be warm to boot. it throws a black screen or ransom hard drive error codes cold.
so i am pretty sure its got to be some power regulator problem on the motherboard.

I been searching and sifting through a lot of BS and have yet found a solution.
so one can one point me somewhere i can go ask or have a pointer?

could be a poorly seated heat sink. any of them loose?

maybe a bad capacitor

There is just one and i replaced the heat sink compound since it was dry and rock hard. the memory has this funny thick compound and the chip on the backside of the motherboard has a thermopad

I went over the whole board nothing visual bad, the caps on the motherboard are Hybrid-Polymer kind.
from the looks of it i would guess there is a micro processor that controls all the power

1 Like

Could be. The ones on the mainboard are rather unlikely to go bad though.

Maybe get a new PSU from ebay and put that in?

Sorry i forgot to add i tired a new power supply and power cord.

From what i read power supplies work or don’t in the Xbox One X, but i got a rebuilt one anyway since there seem to strange problems around power. M$ recommends the Xbox being directly plugged into a wall outlet and not power strips. Ok tried that.

Some people fixed strange power problems with a new power cord, ok seems strange there cheap enough so i tried that too. the old one is 7A and the replacement is 10A rated.

If i were to bet it would be a bad solder joint, under once of those IC’s since it sorta starts working when it gets warm. I would like to know what and were before i start down the path of re-flowing things.

1 Like

just wanted to let you know I fixed the Xbox. and it been working great the last two weeks.
I reflowed the north bridge chip, it’s the large chip on the backside of the motherboard.
man that motherboard must have alot of copper in it because it sure sucked up the heat and spread throughout the motherboard.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.