Help with upgrading two IBM Model M keyboards with Mstar Conv. Kit

Since it’s already broken, conductive ink wouldn’t hurt to try. Wendell was able to repair a guy’s model m with it. It was doing the same thing where a whole column would be iffy.

This is probably a last ditch effort, but he also trimmed a teany tiny strip off the bottom so that the ribbon went into the pin header farther.

@wendell and @Level1_Amber thank you for your design, help ordering, and the documentation you provided.

Difficulty: This was an “easy” project from my perspective, although the ribbon cables are fiddly and I am confident with through-hole and most SMT soldering. (You need to have figured out to click the arrows (carets?) to expand the drop down sections in Amber’s Wiki which took me far longer than it should have.)

I might also add to the wiki article the QMK Toolbox binary as when you plug in the Blue Pill to smoke test it you get more feedback that the Blue Pill is flashed with the right QMK firmware and functional:

Also mentioning the LED light sequence on poweron might be helpful for debugging - it was an early indicator that my keyboard was having trouble as only one LED functioned, and that intermittently.

1 Like

Yeah, thanks and I’ll keep that in mind if I have trouble modding the one at work as I will have to decide which one to repair and/or make a donor…

Good idea thank you :slight_smile:

@Level1_Amber , do you happen to have the firmware for the m-classic with LEDs reversed? I was trying to setup the build chain today but ran out of time.

Hmmm. Maybe. I’ll lyk more tomorrow

1 Like

The LEDs should* be backwards in this version of the default keymap:
default.rar (594 Bytes)

1 Like

QMK doesn’t currently build, looks like the QMK ‘API’ + macros have changed. @wendell would you and Eric (I don’t think he is on the forum?) be interested in a PR to update your M-Star code to the latest QMK, get rid of warnings etc.? I would need your help testing the PR for the M-Star mini and anything other than the Model-M - I think I saw lots of keyboards in your collection!

Minor update, my second keyboard converted, no problems found with it either (except the LEDs). Nearly all the plastic rivets survived on both so held off on any bolt mod, or membrane replacement.

1 Like

I think I fixed this already in parallel let me push what I have then see if what you have merges. Fixes the led order also iirc

Just to be clear - I have not done the work yet as I have already learned that some projects are not open to PRs for various (completely valid, it is the creator’s work and I did not pay for it!) reasons.

I have contributed several PRs to different projects recently and would love the opportunity to upskill more in working on existing projects. Most of my experience is with “clean-sheet” projects which should never have been “clean-sheet” as I teach in college.

Ok lemme push what I have then you can pull and lmk what’s broken

Minor update:

Spent a couple of hours yesterday, got a lot of the requirements in place and compiled code with errors.

The QMK project has merged as much configuration as possible into info.json that their python application qmk uses to auto-generate the .c and .h files.

The autogenerator is pretty nice in that you can override or add to the files it makes painlessly. Cuts the number of files down to about 2-3 and puts the config as much as possible in info.json vs. several different headers.

Currently I am still working through the rather complex and large C preprocessor macros to figure out what they are doing, so a build is a bit of a way off.

[Minor: as the STM32 support compiles and links to ChibiOS which is under GPL3 does that mean that all the firmware files become GPL3?]

Thanks for the opportunity to mess,

M

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.