Help with Tyan S8030 POST issues

Hey all,

Recently purchased a Tyan S8030GM2NE and im having issues with it POSTing (or not completing POST) hanging on code 0x00AD with “DXE-Ready To Boot event” and not going any further. Im wondering if i have a CPU incompatibility or memory issue. OR more generall, if the BIOS is even getting past CPU and Memory initialization.

Given that DXE is after PEI in the BIOS sequence i would assume CPU and RAM have initalized(?) What is weird is that i cant seem to hit F2 or DEL to get into the BIOS as no Keyboard i connect to the USB ports seem to work. So im a little stuck as to what stage the board has gotten up to, if the two different keyboards i have used (one i use for all diagnosis on a lot of systems) just dont like the only USB 3 ports on the S8030 or what. What is also slightly frustrating is there is no other USB headers on the mainboard itself.

Should i be trying to connect the IPMI to a the LAN and see if i can see the boards life status that way? Does anyone have experience with the 0x00AD code or this board.

Thanks!

The CPU and RAM are the following parts:
EPYC 7302P (Zen 2)
RAM:
HP Part 809085-091 64-GB (1 x 64GB) Quad Rank x4 DDR4-2400
64GB 4DRX4 PC4-2400T-LEB-11

ram1

Hello,

apparently I run into a similar problem after a BIOS Update (with hopefully same solution):
same system: Tyan S8030GM2NE with EPYC 7302P

BIOS Update via UEFI with image from USB Stick from 3.00 (2020/03/05) => 4.02 (2023/01/09) completed without errors (note this sequence of BIOS versions differ from the one for the Board with extra 10GBit NICs)

POST is hanging on code 0x90 with “DXE-Boot Device Selection (BDS) phase is started” and not going any further. So this is slightly earlier in the DXE sequence than the previous poster.

Before the BIOS update, the first time a keyboard could be used was when the following screen with AMI Logo popped up with a message like “hit [DEL] to enter BIOS”. So this probably explains why the keyboard seems not responsive for the previous poster.

BMC is still responsive over LAN, but still shows the old BIOS v 3.00.

Resetting CMOS values using the jumper on the board shows no effect.

The manual shows instructions to recover UEFI BIOS using .CAP files in appendix 1. Two of these files appear to be of same size as the standard .ROM file. However, I am not sure whether the old (v3) or new (v4) version should be used and whether this is the route to follow.

Any ideas?
Thank you!

Hey,

Thanks for the reply with your experience on the S8030. There is definitely a lack of information with this board regarding BOIS POST messaging.

I have come to the conclusion that maybe the 7302P is not supported? However i find it strange that the board gets this far in the POST stage with an unsupported CPU? I also find it strange that for such a board that it would not support the lower end of the Zen2 EPYC range?

I think I will contact Tyan with respect to the CPU support for this board, and at what BIOS version.

Unfortunately i have not had the chance to update or see what version of the BIOS is running on the board i have.

see pic below for CPU support list from Tyan website:

Yes, strange that the list of processors is so short on the Tyan website. However, before the BIOS Update the board with 7302P would POST and displayed the correct CPU in the BIOS page on CPU (even mentioning stepping and microcode version if I remember correctly).

Oh, This is interesting. So before the BIOS update did you system POST and boot in to an OS ? Or was the system still stuck somewhere in the BIOS procedure?

@kairos what memory modules are you using?

I only used the BIOS so far as I wanted to update it before installing / booting any OS. There is a stage before the BIOS comes up with AMI Logo displayed that neither of us reaches anymore.
The Memory Modules 8x64 GB Hynix PC4-2666V LRDIMM HMAA8GL7CPR4N-VK were recognized correctly in the BIOS.

In the BIOS I also configured the IP adress for the BMC to make it reachable in my network. In case this is pointing to an unusual address, you might have trouble connecting.

@kairos , I see, so neither of us manage to get to the AMI BIOS logo point in the startup process, but you did get to this set before a bios update.

I created a support ticket with Tyan, they told me that i should try different memory modules. Its looks to me that on the S8030 Support AVL webpage that (in my case) DDR4-2400 (PC4-19200) is not “officially” supported at all, and in your case that HMAA8GL7CPR4N DIMMS are not either.

Obviously i would not have expected the BIOS to be so fussy with memory support and that any reasonable choice in memory chips/modules that could have worked with Zen1 and Zen2 configs would at least satisfy a POST on this platform.

Also, your system did manage to get to the AMI logo stage with HMAA8GL7CPR4N dimms installed before the bios update. So do we assume they removed support or locked the bios down a bit more for memory?

Im considering purchasing some different DIMM’s just to test. However rather frustrating and costly this may be.

Managed to get the mainboard working with a single channel of Micron MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2E1, bios version V4.01(that came with the mainboard itself - have not updated it) and EPYC 7302

I actually managed to flash the BIOS (v 4.02) via BMC and got the board running in two RAM configurations (not officially supported - therefore good to note):

• 8 x 64 GB Hynix HMAA8GL7CPR4N-VK PC4-2666V LRDIMM
  • 1 x 32 GB Samsung M386A4G40DM0: DDR4-2133 ECC LRDIMM