Help with troubleshooting boot loop / failure to post issue

Hey guys apologies if it’s not the best place to ask but I’ve always found this place helpful.

I randomly got black screen few days ago whist browsing which fixed upon restart but it happened about 5 times, I just presumed it was windows 10. Then today I had a random shutdown resulting in either failure to post or a boot loop.

At first I presumed it was my PSU as I’ve been cutting it fine for years with a 500w unit. Upon troubleshooting the problem only seems to happen with 1 particular stick of ram. Could it be that this stick has randomly gooched for no apparent reason or is further troubleshooting necessary. Is this one of those things that could just be a coincidence or can ram just randomly die for no apparent reason ?

Cheers folks. I will check back in after my sleep.

I’ve had RAM die on me in the past.
I’d recommend running a memtest to confirm it is indeed the cause of the malfunction.

Also check with your manufacturer. Most of them provide a life-time warranty on RAM.

2 Likes

thank you, seems I do have a 5 year warranty on my ram which I was unaware of.

I’m yet to try memtest but my mobo has a built in memory test and when I try to boot after removing the possibly faulty ram it says ‘power supply surges detected during the previous power on’.

So from what I understand a faulty stick of ram is causing power surges and getting me stuck in a boot loop. What confuses me is I didn’t think this possible.

** Also my gpu no longer seems to show up / work. Reseated everything geez I hate computers :frowning: Something has fucked up.

this will not be as good a using memtest86.

Makes me think the motherboard or power supply is going faulty.

1 Like

I’m gonna try and check things over more thoroughly when I’m off work Wednesday.

I think I’m gonna buy a new motherboard and psu regardless but I’m gonna cry like a little bitch if my gpu is busted too, I’m praying it’s the pci slot. cheers

1 Like

Keep us updated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well then.

A few days ago when I tested it I could get it to boot via the onboard with 1 stick of ram but the gpu would not show up. As of today it seems to reset itself anywhere from 1-30 seconds. I won’t display at all anymore via the onboard. Memtest is therefore a no go.

It does this with the reset button disconnected, the gpu disconnected, both sticks of ram disconnected etc. My thinking now is that the PSU is faulty or the motherboard has shorted ? but I’ve no way of testing either of these things. I don’t believe it to be an os/windows issue given the diagnosis. I feel like my options at this stage is to buy a new psu as I can’t really borrow one. If anyone has any ideas that is cool.

*also I forgot to add that back when it first started the in built memtest on my board gave a message about shutting itself down due to power supply surges being detected.

1 Like

Well I got a new psu today and my pc seems to be even more dead.

I think I might destroy it with a sledgehammer and then torch it with a flamethrower, I’m at that point now. With the old PSU it’s stuck in a boot loop, with the new one the mobo light comes on and that is it, won’t even boot. I tried shorting the power connector, I changed the cmos battery. Done literally everything, so year pretty much gonna headbutt it until my head breaks or it turns into dust.

Well a system without memory sticks installed will never boot.
Would be nice if you could give us some system specs.
So that we know which kind of setup we talk about here.

1 Like

Anyway the first thing i would do to troubleshoot this.

• take everything out of the case.
  • lay the motherboard on its cardboard box.
  • install one stick of memory, switch them arround aswell.
  • connect the psu, 24 pin and 8 pin cpu power.
  • connect a monitor to the onboard video port / or install the gpu.

Then see if it would bootup outside the case.
If the board doesnt have a power button itself,
then you can still get it to boot by toutching the PW (powerswitch) contact pins on the frontpanel header of the mobo with a screwdriver.
But that will need a littlebit of carefullness.

If it doesnt boot up outside the case at all.

• Then reseat the cpu, and try again.

If it still doesnt boot atall:

• Try again with the old psu.
  • Eventually swap memory sticks arround.

If you still dont have any luck

• Then my guess is that your motherboard is likelly dead.
1 Like

Cheers mate.

Parts list - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mPLPJ8.

So far I’ve done everything above apart from reseat the cpu, only because it’s a bitch to remove from my board, back to back earthquakes wouldn’t budge that thing but I will try it anyway. I guess the motherboard is dead but I’m gonna retest everything in the morning.

Thanks

Reseated the cpu and tried just mobo, psu, cpu and a single ram stick in every slot and nothing. what’s funny is even with the old psu it doesn’t even boot at all now not even for a second. So I’ve literally no clue other than my motherboard randomly died for no apparent reason under a low load.

Yeah if the cpu fan doesnt even turn,
then i´m affraid that your motherboard is probablly dead.
If a memory stick was the issue, then atleast the cpu fan should start spinning.

1 Like

OK

Fixed it, was the motherboard.

1 Like

Thats good news :wink:

I was kinda expecting that indeed.

1 Like

Yeah it’s such a relief, thanks for helping :grinning:

Not sure if my gpu is broken or not. PC seems to be fine although I can’t get it to display. Might be a case of changing some bios settings. Unfortunately the cheapo board I got doesn’t have a hdmi out and the gpu fans don’t spin under 30% load or something so I can’t really do anything until I get a dvi/vga cable.

I think it’ll be fine though, my 390 was always funky about displaying, would only display the bios via onboard and whatnot.

Yeah sometimes you can change the video output in the bios to pci-e.
Depends on the said motherboard.
And if you get stuck with a blackscreen for whatever reason,
you could allways try to hard reset the bios by unplugging it from wall power,
and then take the bios battery out for a couple of seconds.
But then you have to re do bios settings like date and time etc in the bios again.

1 Like