Help with PSU

That's the thing I am not overclocking right now.  Its 100% stock auto settings.  (20X200MHz for 4GHz)

Useful info though.  I'll keep it in mind if I ever get this thing stable.   

hmm then its kinda strange.

you allready changed out everything except the psu and cpu. hmm thats weird. you had an old psu in it, and with that other psu, it started to bsod aswell?

I assume you allready tried disabling cool n quiet and all the powersaving feutures.

What i would advice you to do now, is screw everything out of the case. lay the mobo on its Asus box. reseat cpu + cooler, ram, gpu, HDD, connect the psu to the mobo, and fire it up outside the case. It could be, that there is a short cirquit somewhere in the case. maybe a lip from the backplate toutching the mobo, or a standoff or screw is causing it.

Also check all usb ports for bendend pins, and also check the case usb ports. somethimes if you use case usb ports allot, pins can bend, and toutch other pins in the connector, then this will cause a short cirquit aswell, and a weird acting system, Bsods and freezing.

No luck unfortunately.  Rebuilt it on top of the motherboard box and checked all the ports for derby.  Still freezing.

Bought another FX-8350.  It should be here some time this week.  If that fixes the issue I'll attempt to return the one I have.  

Just sharing some initial findings.  I got the new FX chip today.  It still locks up on default settings.  That basically crushed my sprites.  No real differences between these 2 chips.

The one setting that seems to make it significantly better is setting CPU Current Capability to 130%.

i´m sorry to read this.

i would call Asus about this, and ask for an rma of that motherboard.

On stock settings it just should work without any issues. even with everything on auto in the bios, it still work normaly.

I´m glad that you are so patient with this, i would have gon mad and totaly freaked out allready. I think that i would even just sell those 2 cpu´s for a good price..

I talked to Asus support about it.  The guy I talked to seems to think I need a bigger PSU.  

I explained to him that I am going by what the Asus PSU calculator said.  I sort of think it is BS because I have tested with my GTX 760 removed using a Radion HD 5570 that uses a lot less power.  

But hey....  I have no other ideas.  I have a HX1000 in another PC I can test with so i am off to do that.  

well any 500W psu would be more then enough for a build with a single gpu like GTX760.

So i agree, that that sound like bullshit to me, also wenn the psu is not powerfull enough, it would just shut off, not freeze. There is something seriously wrong with that mobo. And Asus needs to solve this.

You changed every single part now, ram psu, gpu, drives.. so yeah. only the mobo is remaining.

Well that is the end of that. I put the HX1000 on it and it still freezes..

I think I am ready to start taking recommendations for a different mother board. The GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 looks ridiculously popular.

Did you try running no hdds/ssds and just running a live linux distro?

Barebone - mb, cpu, gpu you know works, psu, 1 stick of ram, kb, mouse, monitor + ubs linux os. Nothing else.

I finally have solid information!

It seems like these system freezes are directly tied to vcore.  On stock setting if vcore goes over 1.39-1.4v the system locks up instantly.  I can push this number a little higher to 1.44v if I turn CPU Current Capability to 130%.

Obviously I don't need to run a vcore of 1.4v for stock speeds but, I have noticed that while running Optimized Defaults sometimes for a split second the voltage hits 1.404v.  During a stress test I have seen it hit 1.416v for a split sec.  I am pretty sure that's whats causing the random freezes.  

1.4 is high for stock.

go into your bios, go to ai tweaker, go to cpu/NB voltage control. change that to manual mode, and put the cpu voltage to 1.38V.

But in all honnesty, if you cant solve the issue, then i would personaly concider to maybe just sell both cpu´s for a good price, and maybe switch to a 4690K with Z97 board. i would personaly realy be done with it allready lol, respect that you have soo much patience.

I would but 1.38v will probably lock up the system before it even posts.  

I am pretty sure these voltage spikes are the result of firmware bugs.  I was able to cut the spikes down to 1.32v by turning off C6 States.  I left C1E and Cool n' Quite on so I can get some power savings.  I have to give you credit for that one.  You totally said to turn off the power savings stuff earlier.  

The other issue seems to be the relationship between vcore and CPU Current Capability.  I still need to test but I have a theory.  I think when you take vcore off auto rules and set a voltage manually the auto rules for CPU Current Capability resets to a value that is too low for this chip.  

I know I am putting in way to much work to get this PC working.  It would be easy to just run to the store and pick up something new.  The thing is I really want to get in and understand whats going on.  Honestly I have learned so much from this that if I go to overclock this CPU its going to be super easy.  I have a 4770K and with GTX 770 working over here so its not like I am without a PC.  :)

ah okay you still have a pc thats good haha.

Anyway 1.365V to 1.38V is kinda stock for a FX8350.

if you have cool n quiet enabled, indeed you get huge voltage drops. because it also clocks the cpu down to 1.4GHz if there is no load, and it turbo´s all the way up to 4.2 and 1.38V wenn there is load. I dont like such a huge vdrops just because powersaving, so i have allways disabled this.

Looking good so far.  No Freezes in 24 hours.  Did some gaming last night and ran prime95 overnight.  It was still running in the morning.  Also, tests backed up my suspicion about the Auto settings being buggy.  This is what i found.  

vcore-Auto + CPU Current Capability-Auto = 120% Current Capability

(minimum to run a 8350)

vcore-Manuel + CPU Current Capability-Auto = 110% Current Capability

(not enough to run a 8350)