Help with my new build!

Hi there Tek Syndicate!

I'm 16 years old and I live in the Netherlands.

My current pc consists of an AMD Sempron 2400+, a Nvidia GeForce FX5200 and a GIGABYTE 7VT600-RZ. Obviously time to upgrade :p

So in a few weeks (beginning of june), I'll finally be getting a new system! But I can't seem to choose a new list of specs.

I've been thinking about:

An AMD 6300 with Cooler Master Seidon 120m, or an AMD FX8320 with Hyper 212 EVO, or the FX8350 with stock cooler (or maybe Hyper 212 EVO). (all depends on how much I get paid this month).

Motherboard; Asrock 970 Extreme4

RAM: 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz

GPU: MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr

Case: CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced

PSU: Corsair CX600

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500Gb and will be adding a SSD later.

I don't need an OS or any peripherals yet. I have an OS, and I don't have money to upgrade my LG Flatron W1942S or peripherals yet.

What do you guys think?

The store I'm buying from has limited brands available.

I suggest you should either get a GTX 660Ti or a 650Ti Boost if you dont have the money for a 660Ti. Maybe even a HD 7850 and OC that. Anyways, I think you should aswell go with the AMD FX8320 with Hyper 212 EVO, since you just need to OC that and you'll have the same performance as a 8350. Either way the list seemes good for me

What is your max budget, and what site will you be buying from?

What's wrong the the gtx 660? Performs and priced right in between the TI and the boost. Especially if you can find one on sale with a rebate, they're a steal.

It is overpriced for the performance you are getting, similar to the Intel 3570k vs the AMD 8350. The 8350 performs better, but costs the same, or a little less.

30 bucks more to avoid fps dips is worth it.

I'd consider the 660 playable, the boost, not.

The issues with FPS dips are not present with a single card, in either AMD or Nvidia. You are thinking of Crossfire performance, which with the recent beta driver(s), have been improving performance of CF to a competitive level when compared to SLI performance. You have a skewed outlook; a 7950 can be had for the same price as a 660ti, and the 7950 performs just as well as a 680, generally, which makes it a better choice than the 660ti in every singe way.

The 650ti Boost is a low-end card that has been revised, and overclocked. The reason for the FPS drops are due to the stressing of a weaker architecture. The 7850 is a
better choice.

http://www.hwcompare.com/13302/geforce-gtx-660-vs-radeon-hd-7870/

Compare the 660 vanilla to the 7850, price vs performace.

I guess I'm not sure why you want him to buy a boost or a 7850 which both underperform the card he says he wants.

Well, going from a nvidia FX5600 to this, I think he will be amazed by whatever GPU he gets his hands on

Hey Hey first of all a warm welcome on the Teksyndicate site.

First tip i give you, cause im also from the Netherlands, buy your parts in an online store, a very good store is azerty, plenty of choices in hardware. www.azerty.nl

i will select some parts for you on azerty, do you have a budget in mind?
so we can give you some advices?

http://azerty.nl/winkelmandje/winkelmandje/?legen=1&product%5B419150%5D=1&product%5B409381%5D=1&product%5B531107%5D=1&product%5B260466%5D=1&product%5B530217%5D=1&product%5B576423%5D=1&product%5B455750%5D=1&product%5B563663%5D=1

Grtz Angel ☺

Thanks! :D

But I'm buying at MyCom :) And 826 is massively out of my budget :/

And the thing with the GTX 660 is, that where I'm buying, the Twin Frozr is only €175, whereas the 650Ti is €164,99. I'd say the €10 more is worth it :)

And I guess it's the FX8320 then! I hope to be able to buy the Hyper 212 EVO immediately, but I might as well upgrade a few weeks later. And I'm buying in a physical store, so do you guys know any good batches?

Budget greatly depends on how much I get paid this month. At least €630, probably more.

Probably I can stretch another €50 for sure, and if I get paid more, it might even be around €700!

Any more tips before I buy in the beginning of June? And what PSU would I need if I wanted to OC both CPU and GPU? Preferably Corsair or Cooler Master.

Thanks all!

no big deal. i run my FX8350 with stock cooler also. cause i was on a tiny budget my self.

Mycom is a very good shop, the only thing is, in theire shops they most of the time dont have much in stock, so better go on theire online site. :)

My parents say I can't build a pc (even though I've built theirs -.-), so they want it built in the store.

Though they'll pay the building cost and it only takes a screwdriver for me to rebuild it :p

And will the FX8320 overclocked run together with an OC'd GTX660 on a CX600 or would I need to get a better PSU as well?

With a stock GPU and a FX 8350 OC'd at 4.8GHz would get at about 460 watts, but I'm not sure how much the wattage of the GPU would increase. Because the wattage of the CPU increased madly when OC'd in the article I read.

EDIT: I've just browsed through some parts at MyCom, and I came to a total of €650, which is probably fine. I've even though of a name (or two) for the build: either Artic Ninja, or "Alaska". Artic Ninja because the build will be white, blue and a tad bit of black. So it fits the artic theme. Alaska because it's the most beautiful place in the world. I hope to go there one day.

haha yeah parents parents ☺

600W 80+bronze  psu should be fine,i use a 750W my self, but 600 should be fine as long as it 80+bronze certified, if you want to be complete secure to upgrade things later, then pickup a 650W 80+bronze.

if you buy a FX8320 or 8350, and you gonne use the stock cooler for a while, please dont oc that, cause the stock cooler isn´t good enough for an overclock. i run my FX8350 stock with turbo enabled on 4.1/4.2 GHZ runs fine, but if i going to game, it gets up to 45/50 degrees realy fast, sounds like a boing 747

wich motherboard did you select? could you please post a list or a link to youre build, cause if you want to go on a FX8320/8350 you need a realy decent motherboard.

Grtz Angel ☺

-FX 8320

-GTX 660 Twin Frozr III

- 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600MHz RAM

-Asrock 970 Extreme 4 MoBo (has 8 pin connector)

-CM Storm Scout 2 White case

-Corsair CX 600 80+ bronze PSU

-Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB.

-Hopefuly Hyper 212 EVO.

€650 without cooler, €680 with.

okay  please spen a few dollars more and get a better motherboard, look if you can pickup a Asus M5A97 evo R2.0 with 6+2 power phase and digi vrm. thats a better board. on the Asrock 970 Extreme 4 with only 4+1 power phase you won´t be able to do a good stable oc, on that 125W tdp cpu. those vrm´s are just to weak.

Grtz Angel ☺

That board is the same price :D

But again, the extreme 4 does in fact have 8 pin (says so in manual), but then I guess I'll get that ASUS board :D

EDIT: the board the store has is the M5A97 R2.0, it doesn't have the EVO at all. Only the 990FX one, which is out of budget. The non-evo still has 8 pin power phase though, so I think I'll get that. :)

the Asus M5A97 R2.0 has only 4+2 power phase it will work on a tiny OC but you wont get mindblowing oc´s, do they have a Gigabyte GA-970A-ud3 in stock? this board has a 8+2 power phase.