Help with Cooling for a 3955wx

Hey all,
I’ve lurked for a few years now, but this is my first post.

I’m in the process of building a new ‘SWERKSTATION’ as Wendell calls it. Will be used for a number of virtual machines including one that will function as a somewhat beefy workstation. I’ve got my parts picked out with the exception of the cooling solution:

CPU: 3995wx
MOBO: ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE
GPU: RX6700XT + (eventually) 3080
MEMORY: 256 Gb GSkill Trident Z 3200
PSU: Corsair HX 1200
Case: The Tower 900

Several of the VM’s will be running 24/7 for some light processing (running an Ethereum full node [not mining, just a node] and another custom blockchain). Will also be utilizing it as a sandbox for playing around, primarily with different Linux distros. Finally, it will occasionally be utilized as a workstation for video editing, animation, live broadcast through OBS etc. So ultimately it will be running 24/7 at a lower draw, while occasionally pegging it pretty hard.

From what I’ve read, air cooling is tough with this motherboard based on the orientation of the CPU (unless someone has a suggestion?). I already have The Tower from a previous build that I ended up putting in another case. Given the case, an AIO seems out of the question. I’ve only ever done 1 custom loop before, so I’m looking for some advice on what I realistically need for this build. My last custom loop pc was complete overkill (1 custom loop for Threadripper 1950x, another for 1080Ti, each with a 360 rad). Any suggestions (or requests for specific info) would be greatly welcomed.
Cheers

Noctua u14s tr3. Works great. Fan can be positioned above the ram. I’m doing a push pull with a u12a at the back and it’s peachy.

3 Likes

Building a similar setup, same mb/cpu, running eth nodes as well.
Using the Noctua cooler

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.