Help with 64gb Ram kit for 3950x

I just got a 3950x as exchange instead of cash(sometimes it happens :slight_smile: ), and got a Asus Crosshair VIII hero to go with it.
I don’t understand ram memory, so if you can help me with that, i’ll be very grateful.
I need 64gb since i do 3d modeling, video editing etc. and preferably on 2 sticks of 32gb for later upgrade with another 2 sticks.
What the stores where I live have is the following:

1. G.SKILL TridentZ RGB F4-3600C18D-64GTZR
    1. G.SKILL TridentZ RGB F4-3200C16D-64GTZR
    1. G.SKILL RipjawsV F4-3600C18D-64GVK
      Price difference between these is extremely minimal so that wont be an issue, i’m just trying to get the best of these.

Besides these, what i found is Kingston HyperX XMP Predator, but only 16gb dims.

Also, if this subject is present on the forum please delete my post and direct me to that section. Can’t search the forum now since i’ll be on the road.

Thanks!
Goce

Use this for reference.

From what i can read here it doesn’t say anything about 32gb dimms, is that not supported yet or not officially tested? maybe with some bios update or?
That’s why i’m confused, motherboard specs says max od 128gb memory/ 32gb per dimm. And on these lists 16gb dimms are the max.

And if that’s just for reference, probably it means the TridentZ would be a safe bet.
But what would I benefit more from, 3600mhz with C18 or 3200mhz with C16?
I don’t game at all. 3Ds Max, Davinci Resolve, Unreal Engine are my daily drivers.
I’ll put rtx 2080ti in it probably as well as 2x1tb nvme.
At least, that’s my plan for now. And no overclocking at least for the next 6-8 months since I don’t know anything about it.

On Ryzen higher clocks matter more than lower timings because the infinity fabric clock is coupled to it. On Ryzen 3000 series the penalty for lower speed memory is a lot less substantial though. But keep in mind that higher capacity dimms will also put more stress on the memory controller. Given these two points, on 32GB dimms I would stick to 3200 speed memory.

… and apparently I need a coffee.

Thanks a lot for your help!
If i can, i’d buy you that coffee.
All the best.

looking at this but torn on waiting for the new AMD Processors to drop.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.