Help: windows 10 network (LAN) speed is less than 5MB/s

I finally installed windows 10 about a week ago for the very first time. Not an upgrade, but a fresh install of windows 10 Pro. Straight away I had some problems.

1. My keyboard and mouse started acting up. I have both keyboard and mouse connected via USB3 extension cable and USB3 hub. I thought that might be the problem, so I tried to test it - I tried 3 different USB extension cables, 2 USB3 and 1 active USB2 - did not help. I tried 2 different USB3 hubs (both pretty new and working perfectly up until now). I even tried plugging in my mouse straight into the PC, because it’s wireless. Nothing helped. My keyboard would completely “shutdown or stopped working” I don’t know how to call it - it just did not work at all, until I unplugged it and plugged it back in again. My mouse was feeling laggy and “drunk” half of the time, sometimes also stopped responding altogether. And I have no idea why. The only thing that changed was I switched from windows 8.1 to windows 10.

2. Today happened something, that I simply cannot live with. I was moving files from my pc to my unraid server and noticed that the speed got really slow. I was using Directory Opus, instead of regular Explorer, so I actually got a log, that one file failed to be moved with “unexpected network error”. And this happened 2 or 3 more times. Every time I started moving files - everything was OK, the speed was regular 1Gig (my home network is 1Gig), then something happened, Directory OPus showed that some file failed with that same “unexpected network error” and speed dropped to less than 10MB/s. I di some tests between my main pc (this windows 10), my unraid server and my GFs pc (also win10). The problem was my rig. I checked the network settings in my win 10, and the adapter showed as being only 100mbps. What the hell? It’s an on-board Intel 1Gig NIC. I remembered, that I forgot to install any motherboard drivers from ASUS, when I installed these windows 10 (I was in a hurry, checked Device Manager, everything was OK, no unknown devices). The only drivers I installed myself was for NVidia GPU. So I figured I’ll do it now. And so I did, I downloaded and installed chipset and LAN drivers from ASUS. That made it even worse. The Network Card now shows up as 1Gig, and outgoing speed is good, but for some freaking reason all incoming speed is even slower than before - it’s less than 5MB/s! Obviously, I tried another cable - nope it wasn’t a cable problem.

3. What the hell is going on? Is this windows 10, or is this me not installing chipset drivers as a first thing after installing windows?

4. Windows 10 has an option to automatically install drivers suing windows update. Should I enable or disable that? With previous windows versions I never installed drivers with windows update. Especially GPU drivers. But what now, with win10?

Help please. I am going to reinstall windows again, probably, because it’s getting hard to even browse the internet with that slow incoming speed. But I’d would like to know what to do or what not to do to avoid this mess in the future.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I installed windows 10 on my GFs NUC a couple of months ago, and it’s running without a problem…