Help: Thinkpad T520 bios reset

Whatever ligma ridden tard had this rather nice thinkpad before @Ramiel turned on all the bios settings and then locked it. With my L520 it was just a simple jumper that you had to short, however on the T version I can’t seem to see a jumper anywhere and pulling the CMOS battery doesn’t do much.

So, does anyone here know how to do a complete bios reset, password and all, on a tihnkpad T520? The poweron beep is annoying me, as well as beeping when I change volume or brightness :T

Ask on the thinkpad subreddit or try emailing Lenovo.

1 Like

From what I remember the security is more robust on the T-Series because of it being business class, and once the BIOS/UEFI is locked there really isn’t a way to unlock it without soldering a new BIOS chip on the board.

Certain Dell Latitude models you could unlock with a generated key, but I never found a way to do it with business class Lenovos or HPs.

There might be a way I never found for Lenovo, but definitely not HPs. Might have some luck like @Goalkeeper suggested at some Lenovo specific community.

I didn’t lock it.

That’s the nature of free stuff from businesses. Sometimes some internal IT guy thinks it’s a good idea (ahem not me) to setup passwords which don’t really do much but keep you from doing things like this.

1 Like