Help switching from an AMD Athlon to an Intel i7

if he's going to keep the same windows OS, then he could try it thomas. but there's no guarantee it'll be stable. if he plans on switching from a 32-bit os to a 64-bit one like what i did, he's better off just looking for 64-bit versions of his programs after reformatting his hdd.

Yoda8232 wrote 1 hour ago »

I'd just buy a Phenom II much cheaper because you don't have to buy the RAM and X58 mobos. Plus the AM3's come out in Summer/Fall this year. And Skump the AM3's will definitely be cheaper than i7's since you have to buy new mobo + RAM, even then DDR3 will be cheaper.

Yes, but all the AM3 features and a good amount of speed would be lost on an AM2+ mobo. Even then, maybe AM3 mobos will be bother DDR2 and 3 compatible?

Go for an Phenom II, it's a steal, I wished I went AMD, their CPUs are very much cheaper with a little performance (just a little), with the extra money you can buy a sick video card.

I want a Phenom 2 for my AMD Rig. Just got to wait for the prices to fall first!

Skump wrote 15 hours ago »

xXxPathogenxXx wrote 2 minutes ago »

dont forget you need ddr3 ram ;) i dont see amd supporting ddr3 thats why intel>amd

I see AM2+ Phenom2 3.4ghz nearly=i7 3.6ghz

AM3=DDR3 and 25% Phenom2 overall performance increase.

DO NOT GET A REGULAR PHENOM. If you wanna go AMD, at least go AM2P2, and use DDR2 (Cheaper route) or wait for AM3P2, which may be more expensive than i7.

can you show me where you have seen this because all the benches iv seen the pehnom 2 940 @ 3ghz has been loosing to the i7 920@ 2.66ghz and even loosing clock for clock against many core 2 quads.

At stock speeds the Intel i7 kills the 940 phenom2. Overclocked however, they are very similar yet the i7 still beats the phenom2 just.

if u got the money get the i7 but if ur saving or dont want to spend everything on ur pc get the phenome II

if your cheap get AMD/ATI if you want quality, speed, and bang per buck get INTEL, NVIDIA.

AMD = never gonna beat Intel's performance.

INTEL = uneatable.

so if your cheap get an AMD, if you want quality overclockable parts get intel

get i7 cos you want to be partly future proof, unlike amd ony ddr2, get triple channel ddr3, maybe a better PSU cos the i7 will take more power than the amd.

GG bumping a 2 month old thread

ROFL. Intel for bang per buck. What has the world come to?

tell me how much you are able to spend and what parts you need and I'll give you my opinion.

IMO, why get intel unless your buying this PC for editing. When it comes to games, the AMD P2 940, and the Intel i7 920 are with in a few points of each other. Some times AMD is ahead some times intel is ahead, depends on the game. The AMD P2s have more going for them, they are cheaper, work with both AM2+ and AM3 CPU sockets, they works with DDR3 and DDR2 Ram. I would get a AMD P2 940 at this point in time and use the money I saved to help buy something else

Correction all PIIs work in socket AM2 but the 920 and 940s don't work in socket AM3. But that doesn't matter to much the 955s are out and their cheaper than the i7 920 (and faster clock wise)

Â
My reccomendation is get a 955, an MSI GD70, 4 or so GBs of DDR3, or a or for the MoBo get a 980a if you plan on using Nvidia.

but its best to run the p2 920 and 940 in socket am2+ amirite?

Phenom II 955+AM3 790FX mobo~$450

i7 920+X58 mobo~$530

Plus you can choose between DDR3 RAM or DDR2 RAM if it's not really worth the extra for DDR3. The i7 920 isn't much more expensive than the 955 but the motherboards are about $50-$100 more.

If I were you I would go AMD and save that extra cash for a better video card or a good cooler so you can overclock that beastly Phenom II 955. Also new video cards are out later this year, I don't know if it's worth the wait to you.

He's coming from an old Athlon 4400. Probably not worth it. But save your GFX card and upgrade it sometime in this summer when the new ones come out or the current batch becomes really cheap.

sells sum drugs
sell ur body to sum girlz
tell ur mom and dad u love them

that's how u make bank...

Yes this was my bad, at the time I thought the AMD 940 and 920 were AM3s.

Phenom II 920 and 940 - AM2 only
Phenom II 955 - AM3 and AM2 compatible.
Clear?

Meh at the time the sites said it was AM3 blame them.