Help setting up a home wireless network

Need help setting up my home wireless connection.

I have a tp link dual band wireless modem (old) router and recently the asdl part was struck by lightning and died. The lan ports and wireless as i tested is still usable.

So i bought another cheap asdl wireless modem (new) and use it to connect to the internet.

Now my plan is asdl line - > new modem - > old wireless modem.

Initially i want to create a seamless wireless connection btw those 2 but it has been a hassle. Now I cant do create a simple
ASDL - > New modem running ASDL -lan-> old modem with wireless.

The connection i get is either very slow connection.... Or my phone and tablet cant even connect to the internet even though it says a secure connection with the old wireless modem.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Soryy im a super networking noob.

there is probably more damage than just the adsl part. probably to the wireless chip as well.
other possibilities are a flakey ethernet cable between the two of a failing ethernet port. i would just get another router, and tras... err recycle the lightning damaged one.

It sounds like you are trying to use the old modem to set up a wireless repeater. If this is the case, then the resulting very slow connection is typical, characteristic and normal when using a repeater. Wi-Fi is already half duplex, so when you configure a repeater, you cut your bandwidth in half, yet again. This topology should be avoided at all costs for that reason.

If you need to extend your Wi-Fi coverage area, you would be better off with a wireless access point, which is connected to the new modem via an Ethernet link, rather than a Wi-Fi connection.

1 Like

You can also reverse that to using the old hardware to bypass walls or floors, then use a long cable to extend your range that way.

I'd only recommend this if running ethernet from the new modem isn't feasible for whatever reason