[Help] Ryzen 2700 not boosting above 3.35GHz

I’ve just upgraded my system new CPU, RAM, MOBO.
And my CPU is not boosting properly. It boosts up to 3.35GHz and if I enable “Game boost” (I think that is the option in MSI BIOS) then it will boost up to 3.65GHz but not to 4.1GHz as it is supposed to.

CPUZ quick bench it scores a bit more than 4000 for multithreading and in Cinebench R15 a bit more than 1400… 20-25% performance loss as I can see…

Do non X Ryzen CPUs have PBO? It is not available in Ryzen Master software. Even if enabled in BIOS.

I’ve installed Chipset drivers and Ryzen Master 2.6.
I’ve not reinstalled my OSes yet, I’ve tried stressing CPU in Linux and Windows 10. And I have tried switching Power plans in Windows, but there was no change in frequency boost.

I’ve tested quick manual OC in Ryzen Master and it hit 4.0GHz. Not sure about long term stability and performance.
I’m annoyed that it is not auto boosting properly.

Well I’m guessing I should upgrade BIOS? or maybe downgrade it? Current version is e7co2ams.370

With 3.35GHz on all cores temps are at 44C
With 3.65GHz on all cores temps are ~59C and CPUZ score is ~4450

Relevant parts:
Ryzen 2700
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz HX432C16FB3AK2/16

Any similar experiences? What should be my next step?

Check the power plan. For some reason when I use a AMD 2700 on WIndows 10 after I install the chipset driver it will change the max and min CPU percentage with the advanced section of the power plan menu structure. This will happen even on different motherboards and chipsets. I have used an ASUS B450-f and an ASROCK Rack x470 10G. I used the different drivers per chipset change and from the correct AMD pages. It will max the max 100 and min 90 which result in low clock speeds of around the base clock. After I changed the Max to 100 and the Min to 5 the single core boost clocks reported correctly. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience.

Update

Windows is set to default Balanced power plan, I’ve tried changing minimum/maximum processor state in power plan. That didn’t help.
Ryzen Master is reporting 99% of 90A, constantly.
At this point I don’t think this is Windows related, in Linux CPU is not boosting too…

XMP profile2 seems to be working 3200MHz 16-18-18-36 for the RAM

after changing CPU voltage in BIOS from auto (reporting 1.38v) to override voltage of 1.4v I get boost to 4.1GHz but
in CPUZ multicore score goes down to ~2000 points (50%), and singlecore goes up to ~470 points (from ~370)

absolutely stay away from “game boost” from MSI, I am amazed your PC even booted
you’ll want to change the power limits in bios, I’m not sure what to set them to for your particular board but if you set them too high it’ll perform lower because of a buffer overflow thing
*this only applies to certain AGESA versions Idk if they’ve fixed it yet

buildzoid at actually hardcore overclocking is a great resource

I would recommend you do a dynamic undervolt of your CPU by at least -0.100v or -100mv

running a lower voltage means there is more amperage headroom under the same wattage ceiling, and your CPU already gets too much voltage

Have you checked cooling? is your fan working? is your thermal paste applied well? I dont think with the temperatures you are reporting that that is a problem, but its possible.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.